News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 & GT500 factory assembly line battery

Started by Cobramax, July 04, 2024, 02:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Cobramax on July 06, 2024, 12:13:31 PMWould a semigloss polyurethane bring the surface back to close to original appearance, I wonder? The "Caution" raised words could easily be painted yellow and the crack could be filled in, I think, so it isn't noticeable. Are the dimensions of the 22F the same as the 24F? Did that vary by year?

I don't think the polyurethane will bring the surface back . I would use a satin black bumper refinish paint. The 22F is noticeably smaller then the 24F. A wider hold down bracket is used on 65/66 battery trays to accommodate the 22F battery compared to the narrow one for a 24 F. A smaller battery tray is used for the 67 with a 22F.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kent on July 06, 2024, 03:26:52 AM............by the way which battery shields exactly?

There were three versions that have been found for the C7 battery heat shield

1- the gray version with the two post surround design

2- the grey version without the two battery posts at the same end.

3- the black version of #2. I've found, seen and owned more of the black versions than any here on the west coast - in fact all but others have seen more of the #2s

The originals long version is what was made but the long end/side of the shield was trimmed to fit different applications. There was a 1970 version that looks close but the long top edge or drop down, as shown in the picture, that goes end to end unlike the C7 version

One of two cast engineering number on the inside - towards battery - of the shield on the long side

Picture of a full size or oversized (for a Mustang/Shelby) NOS one

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kent

I think a good repro of these would sell pretty good as I usually only see the later ones. They are all very rare and most of the times I have seen Mustangs/ Shelbys that were restored pretty good but this part was missing.

Question: which 67 GT500/350 came with a battery heat shield from the factory just the ones with ac and/or thermactor package (402F) or others also?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

This looks like it to me.

https://www.deadnutson.com/group-27-battery-heat-shield/

It really conceals the details of the side of the battery though. So it makes just a "topper" sufficient?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Kent on July 07, 2024, 02:55:24 AMI think a good repro of these would sell pretty good as I usually only see the later ones. They are all very rare and most of the times I have seen Mustangs/ Shelbys that were restored pretty good but this part was missing.

Question: which 67 GT500/350 came with a battery heat shield from the factory just the ones with ac and/or thermactor package (402F) or others also?
The grey colored shields were most prevalent in 67. Typically the GT500 with A/C or thermactor were designated to come with the shield however this is not a absolute. Like other out of the ordinary things that happened on the assemblyline there is circumstantial evidence to support some slipping through the system that weren't meant to get them as well. Most likely since it wasn't a problem if by mistake one got added no effort was made to correct the mistake. At least that is how Ford handled other anomalies like that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kent on July 07, 2024, 02:55:24 AMI think a good repro of these would sell pretty good as I usually only see the later ones. They are all very rare and most of the times I have seen Mustangs/ Shelbys that were restored pretty good but this part was missing.

Thought it was the C7 that was reproduced - never purchased one. And the D0 70 version was the one not reproduced since it covered less production time. Only the black version is made. Some of the black ones, just from observations, were faded black ones IMHO as a results of exposure to heat and who knows what under the hood over the years

Yep here is an add and picture notice the "step in the long side top edge. On a D0 that is not there

Semo Battery Heat Shield
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 07, 2024, 09:29:07 AMIt really conceals the details of the side of the battery though. So it makes just a "topper" sufficient?

Yes that's the current reproduction. Since no one makes the correct "topper" I would not consider it "sufficient" but opinions and expectations differ  :) 

Bob Gaines

In the case of this auction battery I think one of the heat shields (which would typically accompany this heavy duty battery in the case of A/C or thermactor ) would go a long way to making this battery look outstanding in a concours engine compartment. At least if the top side was restored properly IMO. The sides on this one have some significant shortcomings that will be hard to fix, meaning the texture on the sides. The crack is a easy fix by comparison. A battery shield will cover all of that up. 

Special Ed

Jeff s  the doob 70-71 torino and 71 mustang battery heat shield has been made and is a good copy and i got 2 extras here if anybody needs one.

Cobramax

The battery has been relisted at a lower reserve based on the expert opinions of several folks. Thanks for your feedback.