News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Garage Door Opener MALFUNCTION over Our Shelby

Started by WT6066-2600, July 30, 2024, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT6066-2600

Our Shelby is stored in a garage equipped with an STANLEY overhead chain driven garage door opener and has a control pad near the entry door.  We entered the other day and activated the door to open.

The garage door opened BUT did not stop.  Within the seconds it took to realize what was happening and deactivating the door, the trolley "two blocked (crashed)" into the opener drive unit.  The light panel fell out, the drive housing distorted with screws/plastic parts popping out, and the chain disengaged/fell after the gear casing broke in two.  Again, this all happened in seconds.

After removing everything, I noticed the manufacturer of drive motor – check the picture LOL.

Didn't they make water heaters and the like?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 557 on July 30, 2024, 09:13:27 PMDidn't they make water heaters and the like?
Their main biz today is water heaters. They have made many products over the years. Most of the time their products were parts and sub assemblies for other manufacturers.

https://www.aosmith.com/About/History/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

very interesting did you check to see if this "one of the rare ones" maybe a "holy graile part " ?
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

68krrrr

Very funny but more important almost like poets justice, but did it damage your Shelby ? i had one of the wheels of our roll up door pop off & hit my 911 Turbo & put a scratch & dent in the rear fender.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

WT6066-2600

Initiated this post to highlight that even in your garage "s**t" happens. Yes there was damage but not its first in my 40+ years of ownership.

Thanks for asking.

Damn. I too had one fail without notice and the 12ft tall door fell back to the ground, thankfully just missing my 105 pound wife. Glad it wasn't worse.

67 GT350

Lucky
1424 had a spring break and crash down on the passenger top rear quarter, many years ago, like in the early 90's...it was when doors had 2 springs and there was to be a safety wire in it, but there wasn't ...
RARE  Signature Delete