News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Functional brake scoops on a KR

Started by BajaBroncos, August 05, 2024, 02:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BajaBroncos

I looked at a KR project out in the wild the other day and was surprised to see it had functional brake scoops.  They were however quite different from the ones on my old 67  - this '68 had rectangular tubing going in the quarter and coming out the wheel well aiming at the brakes.   I'm almost sure this was done by the 2nd or 3rd and longest owner as he appears to have been a Shelby enthusiast, but I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like it on a '68   I'll try to snap a picture when I see it next.

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BajaBroncos on August 05, 2024, 02:36:20 PMI looked at a KR project out in the wild the other day and was surprised to see it had functional brake scoops.  They were however quite different from the ones on my old 67  - this '68 had rectangular tubing going in the quarter and coming out the wheel well aiming at the brakes.  I'm almost sure this was done by the 2nd or 3rd and longest owner as he appears to have been a Shelby enthusiast, but I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like it on a '68  I'll try to snap a picture when I see it next.
Aiming at the brakes or the tire tread? ;) There is a difference. The hose would have to stretch out from the inside of the wheel well for almost 2 ft to snake around (see what I did there  :) ) so as to  point at brakes. Yes ether way not factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

Seems pointless unless there is some way for the air to actually cool the brake drum?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on August 05, 2024, 05:21:30 PMSeems pointless unless there is some way for the air to actually cool the brake drum?
The only system that really worked was on the Race models that had a scoop mounted on each side secured to the rear axle housing under the car and ducted to ether side and attached to the brake backing plate that had numerous cooling holes made into it for the ducted air to pass through. You couldn't see those scoops but they were there under the car. The so called brake scoops on 66-70 Shelby's were not pointless because the point was to make the car look cool to the masses. They were a styling hit. The scoops and ducting were engineered to satisfy the claim that they were technically functional scooping air. It was hush hush when ever anything was brought up about them actually working cooling brakes. After a while the powers to be decided why bother and eliminated the ducting in mid 67 production. 68 was the same non functional until 69 production when for whatever reason or advertising pressure from above Shelby made the scoops functional again with ductwork . The 69 fastback ductwork was so small it was simply a joke and the convertible ductwork was so much smaller yet that it was just plan sad. SA now could at least advertise that they were functional in that they moved air but of course that part wasn't talked about. How much air they moved and where it went to was always kind of covered up. The functionality of the side scoops for brake cooling on 66-70 Shelby's is one of Shelby Marques dirty little secrets. Don't shoot the messenger. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby