News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Mag Star question for the experts

Started by Bossssssss, August 06, 2024, 11:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossssssss

Hi Gents,
I have a set of original mag stars on my car which were re-rimmed by Craig Connelly back in the early to mid 1980's. The problem is that sometimes they leak air. It only happens when the car sits and when a wheel is clocked a certain way. Its not the valve stems (I already replaced them all and same thing) and its not the tires nor the rim sealing bead area (have cleaned them multiple times) and same for the tires themselves.

I am 99% sure its the rivets that leak slowly.

My question is what are you guys sealing the rivets with?  Looking for an actual product name and part number so I don't use the wrong stuff. I assume its a high grade / high quality silicon sealant?  Or ?

Looking for only the best product as I don't want to mess around with them again.

TIA!

Bossssssss

Chad

You could use tubes and that should take care of the problem

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossssssss on August 06, 2024, 11:26:30 PMHi Gents,
I have a set of original mag stars on my car which were re-rimmed by Craig Connelly back in the early to mid 1980's. The problem is that sometimes they leak air. It only happens when the car sits and when a wheel is clocked a certain way. Its not the valve stems (I already replaced them all and same thing) and its not the tires nor the rim sealing bead area (have cleaned them multiple times) and same for the tires themselves.

I am 99% sure its the rivets that leak slowly.

My question is what are you guys sealing the rivets with?  Looking for an actual product name and part number so I don't use the wrong stuff. I assume its a high grade / high quality silicon sealant?  Or ?

Looking for only the best product as I don't want to mess around with them again.

TIA!

Bossssssss
One solution would be to call Craig and ask what sealant he would suggest . There is a high probability that he has a helpful suggestion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

owenkelley

I have the exact same problem and have been running tubes since the late 80's. I only had three of my wheels restored, I sent them to him from Montana one at a time. After the first three wouldn't hold air I gave up and used the nicest of the last two I had left along with the three restored wheels with tubes in them. Craig told me many years ago that they had corrected the problem and that if I shipped them back to them they would fix them, but the expense of shipping them was a deterrent for me at the time. After running them for the last 30 plus years I have taken them off the car and put a set of Cragars on it which is kind of a nice change. I am going to California in a few months and I'm taking them with me and hope to drop them off to have them fixed and have the fourth wheel restored. I certainly expect them to charge me after 30 years of use. I'm hoping they will be willing to repaint the centers of the three I had them restore for me years ago without completely restoring them again as they've held up quite well. My car's a driver so it's not a concourse car by any stretch of the imagination, but Magstars look great on it. The tubes are a pain because they start leaking at some point too and I've ended up replacing all of them a couple times over the years.

Road Reptile

Hi
A Good place to start is call Craig
(760)744-2400 I think he will be able to correct things simply.
R.R.