News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Remembering Ken Miles August 17, 1966

Started by FL SAAC, August 17, 2024, 08:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

AUGUST 17, 1966

After a fantastic year of racing for Ken and his team including wins at Sebring and Daytona plus the race he could have won at Le Mans.

It was August 17th 1966 at the Riverside International Raceway in California. The Shelby American Crew were testing a Ford known as the J-Car.

Ken was in the car and all was going well until the final lap on the final day of testing.

As he approached turn 9 which was also at the end of the lap, the car left the road broke into two, bursting into flames in which Ken died instantly.

Ken son Peter was at the test. He got to the scene as fast as he could. Peter wanted to get him out of the car, but was informed by a member of the crew that he wasn't in the car. He had been flung out and was lying in the dirt with his helmet next to him.

It has never been proven what happened with the accident. It seems the car had either break failure or the driveline had locked up.

Due to Ken's death, Ford updated its safety program with a stronger roll cage and changes to prevent fire.

R. I. P. Ken
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

"The Hawk" Ken Miles started racing when he was just 11, on a 350cc Triumph motorcycle. A crash earned him that crooked nose and three teeth, and this only pushed him into buying a bigger motorcycle! The crooked nose later earned him the moniker "The Hawk."

Some blame the J Car breaking up on the 2 speed automatic locking up (it had been under development for drag racing). Others blame it on the aerodynamics of the "breadbox" body. While the exact cause of the accident is unknown the effects on the car dictated that Ford change the glue bonding only method of the aluminum honeycomb chassis. They added riveted gussets and a steel roll hoop to the chassis - increasing it's weight by over 100 pounds. They went back to the 4 speed. Since Pete Brock had been shown the door when the Coupe became irrelevant Phil Remington tapped Dean Jefferies to go with him and use Ford's wind tunnel to develop a new body. Jefferies had a long association with Shelby. He began his "car" career working for George Barris as a painter/pin stripper. He opened his own shop and built some of Hollywood's most iconic movie vehicles. The speed at which he could work is probably what drew Shelby to him to paint CSX2000 - several times. In just 2 weeks the duo had a new body designed, the molds built and parts being produced.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 17, 2024, 01:50:26 PM"The Hawk" Ken Miles started racing when he was just 11, on a 350cc Triumph motorcycle. A crash earned him that crooked nose and three teeth, and this only pushed him into buying a bigger motorcycle! The crooked nose later earned him the moniker "The Hawk."

Some blame the J Car breaking up on the 2 speed automatic locking up (it had been under development for drag racing). Others blame it on the aerodynamics of the "breadbox" body. While the exact cause of the accident is unknown the effects on the car dictated that Ford change the glue bonding only method of the aluminum honeycomb chassis. They added riveted gussets and a steel roll hoop to the chassis - increasing it's weight by over 100 pounds. They went back to the 4 speed. Since Pete Brock had been shown the door when the Coupe became irrelevant Phil Remington tapped Dean Jefferies to go with him and use Ford's wind tunnel to develop a new body. Jefferies had a long association with Shelby. He began his "car" career working for George Barris as a painter/pin stripper. He opened his own shop and built some of Hollywood's most iconic movie vehicles. The speed at which he could work is probably what drew Shelby to him to paint CSX2000 - several times. In just 2 weeks the duo had a new body designed, the molds built and parts being produced.
Glue and cars don't mix very well.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on August 17, 2024, 01:55:29 PMGlue and cars don't mix very well.

It worked in aircraft. While those structures can take a lot of Gs they don't get the sharp hits that the track can impose.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless