News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Wanted Ford Autolite Muscle Bug Items

Started by goingthing, August 19, 2024, 09:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goingthing

Looking to purchase any Muscle Bug jewelry items as shown in the attached picture. Thank you, Mark

propayne

In all of my years of being a fan of and collecting original Ford/Mercury advertising and marketing materials I have never heard or seen the "Ford Autolite Muscle Bug".

That is a totally new one on me.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

goingthing

It was part of the Ford Muscle Parts program.

Bob Gaines

It wasn't mentioned in any of the Muscle Parts program catalogs . If I missed that could you give a page number and edition ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

goingthing

Bob, If your referring to the Muscle Parts Catalogs with the parts listed in stages, the jewelry and such was not listed in those catalogs. The only catalog with these items was the "Doo-Dads and Gee-Gaws" brochure which was a 8 page pamphlet mailed to dealers and I assume prospective customers and then the one page flyer sent to dealers later on. Some of the other items listed in the Doo-Dads pamphlet were decals post cards and the desirable Muscle Parts Clock among other items. I believe the photos of the jewelry in this pamphlet were of prototype pieces because if you look at the dealer flyer I posted that came later on, some of the items are of different design. From my understanding, this part of the program ran from 1969 to 1970 but possibly was offered in 1971.

Coralsnake

Thanks! I would guess often mistaken for a certain bee
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

goingthing

I agree it dose resemble a certain bee from another automobile company. This is legit Ford Autolite though. Anyway if anybody has any of this and is willing to sell, please DM me.

propayne

This is amazing - like I said, completely new to me.

I would love to see clear line work of that "Muscle Bug" logo cartoon.

- Phillip

propayne

"Muscle Bug show car - an exotic show car, prepared and publicized by Danny Eames, Autolite-Ford Performance Program's Manager".

Don't believe I've ever seen that show car either. Anyone got photos?

- Phillip

FL SAAC

Quote from: goingthing on August 19, 2024, 01:16:57 PMBob, If your referring to the Muscle Parts Catalogs with the parts listed in stages, the jewelry and such was not listed in those catalogs. The only catalog with these items was the "Doo-Dads and Gee-Gaws" brochure which was a 8 page pamphlet mailed to dealers and I assume prospective customers and then the one page flyer sent to dealers later on. Some of the other items listed in the Doo-Dads pamphlet were decals post cards and the desirable Muscle Parts Clock among other items. I believe the photos of the jewelry in this pamphlet were of prototype pieces because if you look at the dealer flyer I posted that came later on, some of the items are of different design. From my understanding, this part of the program ran from 1969 to 1970 but possibly was offered in 1971.

Very kool literature
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

J_Speegle

Never seen nor heard of the program or the pieces shown. Does anyone know if the program ever got off the ground (seen any of these items) or saw an early death?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Another bad naming choice for Ford. When I hear "Muscle Bug" this comes to mind.

But since they have a problem with new names and seem to rely on bringing out new products with old names this Pinto should be a big seller. I mean what could go wrong? It doesn't use that flammable gasoline that got so much bad press for the original Pinto. 
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

propayne

I see that the jewelry is made in Australia.

Any chance this is an Aussie thing?

- Phillip

J_Speegle

Quote from: propayne on August 19, 2024, 04:13:08 PMI see that the jewelry is made in Australia.

Any chance this is an Aussie thing?

- Phillip

Design looks very similar to the Super Roo emblems and decals

Every one was doing these - even dealerships as evident by the example below

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge