News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fort Lauderdale's Famed Mai-Kai Tiki Restaurant to Reopen in September

Started by FL SAAC, August 23, 2024, 09:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

If you are ever in the South Florida area this is a must see sight and dine in.

Today we cruised by Fort Lauderdale, passed by the historical Mai Kai that has been undergoing a 4/5 year restoration.

Spoke to the folks working on site, they predict that it will reopen by the fourth quarter of this year weather permitting.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

South Florida, the wait is almost over. Iconic tiki restaurant the Mai-Kai Restaurant and Polynesian Show in Fort Lauderdale is making its long-awaited grand comeback this September after undergoing a stunning $15 million renovation.

The historic venue, which is one of the last midcentury Polynesian supper clubs in the United States and is renowned for its immersive Polynesian experience, has undergone extensive refurbishment under the guidance of Bill Fuller, managing partner and cofounder of Miami's Barlington Group and Mad Room Hospitality.

Fuller and the Thornton family, who founded the venue in 1956, have worked tirelessly since 2020 to honor the original vision of the restaurant while modernizing the infrastructure.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

We lost a good Tiki Bar - Bahooka - about 10 years ago. It had atmosphere outside and inside. There is still Damon's in Glendale that has great food and all the Tiki atmosphere inside you could want. https://www.damonsglendale.com/est1937/

Amy Boylan bought into the Tonga Hut in Palm Springs when she left SA. I don't know if she's still got an interest but she was also buying all things tiki to decorate her house & yard.  https://tongahut.com/index.html
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Royce Peterson

I hope their investment pays off but I think the era of Polynesian themed restaurants has gone the way of big hair. Look at the debacle Trader Vic's went through in Dallas for example.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

FL SAAC

Quote from: Royce Peterson on August 23, 2024, 10:47:37 PMI hope their investment pays off but I think the era of Polynesian themed restaurants has gone the way of big hair. Look at the debacle Trader Vic's went through in Dallas for example.

I think it will pay off, its strategically located in South Florida in Fort Lauderdale. We already receive a huge tourist influx.

When it reopens it will be the very best of its kind in the country, probably world.

One thing I hope they improve is their menu offering. In the past it was expensive (we dont mind), the variety and quality (we do mind) certainly not the best. But the special events and shows kept us coming back for the slop.

With the new group joining the existing, I truly believe the culinary quality will improve.

Their is "no place like this place"
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Just read this on WIKI, guess I was right as they have the same sentiments as I do

"The Mai-Kai is a Polynesian-themed restaurant and tiki bar in Oakland Park, Florida.

It opened to the public on December 28, 1956, and is one of the few "Grand Polynesian Palaces of Tiki" still in operation today.

In 2015 it was named the "best tiki bar in the world" by Critiki, an organization of fans of Polynesian pop culture.

It is the last restaurant in existence carrying on the traditions of service and serving the original drink recipes of Don the Beachcomber, and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places."

Mai-Kai Restaurant - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai-Kai_Restaurant
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Royce Peterson on August 23, 2024, 10:47:37 PMLook at the debacle Trader Vic's went through in Dallas for example.
Our last Trader Vic's went away in 2017 - https://la.eater.com/2017/2/7/14534330/trader-vics-beverly-hills-hilton-closed

It's been almost 40 years since the original Don the Beachcomber closed. Some places claim to serve their original recipe rum drinks -  https://hollywoodphotos.com/post/622465049801490432/don-the-beachcomber-hollywoods-first-tiki-bar
There was a short lived reboot with zero connection to the original - https://atomicredhead.com/2018/04/15/farewell-to-don-the-beachcomber/

Don's intricate rum drinks, including such classics as the "Missionary's Downfall", "Vicious Virgin", "Cobra's Fang" and of course, the "Zombie".

Cobra Fang
1½ oz 151-proof Demerara rum (Hamilton 151)
1/4 oz falernum (Maggie's Farm)
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
1/2 oz fresh orange juice
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1 dash Angostura bitters
6 drops (0.3 ml) absinthe or pastis (Herbsaint)
Short shake with ice and strain into a tiki/hurricane glass almost filled with crushed ice. Top up with crushed ice and garnish excessively.

Here's a tiki drink you really can't serve 'up' (strained into a cocktail coupe). It really has to be served with crushed ice else the rum will utterly dominate. It is a classic Don the Beachcomber 'exotic drink' recipe from the 1930's. It was widely copied at the time but this version comes from the notes of Dick Santiago, one of Don's bartenders, via Beachbum Berry and The Cocktail Seminars.

Like so many of Don's recipes the Cobra's Fang is based on the old Planter's Punch recipe, itself a Sour. The recipe is very similar to our recipe for the Hurricane but here Don has amped up the rum significantly by choosing 151-proof Demerara and added his signature touch of Angostura bitters and Herbsaint. It may not be our favorite tiki drink but it's a good party drink with impeccable links to the early days of exotic drinks.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Royce Peterson

I ate at the new Trader Vic's around 2016. Not many did which is why it is closed now. Bad concept. The food was OK but not worth the price tag when there are lots of other restaurants around with better food for cheaper.

FL SAAC

Quote from: Royce Peterson on August 24, 2024, 01:33:57 PMI ate at the new Trader Vic's around 2016. Not many did which is why it is closed now. Bad concept. The food was OK but not worth the price tag when there are lots of other restaurants around with better food for cheaper.

Mr. R comprehend your sentiments

But I believe that if they improve their menu offerings, flawlessly execute and provide the proper service, this one will succeed.

In one of the articles they mentioned a new management / culinary group joining in with the existing management. I think this is the additional push they need to make this site what it once was.

The improvements that I have seen since the commencement of the project is going to make this a unique and very beautiful site, second to none.

Another huge advantage is its location, centrally located in the tri county area, its proximity to the beaches, hotels and many other venues.

Let's hope for the very best....mahalo

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Here is an optimistic prediction of it opening,  they claim September 2024

Visiting the sure recently and in speaking to the crew working there, we don't think so.

Probably a November December date would be more achievable

As far as a draw, recently we attended a Tiki event held at a regular restaurant we frequent

Usually when we go there is maybe close to 100 patrons. That Tiki night they must have had close to 500 attendants.

They could have had much more if they played more polynesian type music, oldies etc.  If they offered a polynesian or different menu.

Oh well until next time....
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

Royce Peterson

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 26, 2024, 10:16:03 AM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on August 24, 2024, 01:33:57 PMI ate at the new Trader Vic's around 2016. Not many did which is why it is closed now. Bad concept. The food was OK but not worth the price tag when there are lots of other restaurants around with better food for cheaper.

Mr. R comprehend your sentiments

But I believe that if they improve their menu offerings, flawlessly execute and provide the proper service, this one will succeed.

In one of the articles they mentioned a new management / culinary group joining in with the existing management. I think this is the additional push they need to make this site what it once was.

The improvements that I have seen since the commencement of the project is going to make this a unique and very beautiful site, second to none.

Another huge advantage is its location, centrally located in the tri county area, its proximity to the beaches, hotels and many other venues.

Let's hope for the very best....mahalo

I ate at Don the Beachcomber (in Dallas) in the 1980's. Amazing restaurant, interesting decor, great food. All that went away as tastes changed in the 1990's. Dallas and Florida are very much alike - lots of restaurants, heavy competition for your dollars, and polynesian themes are dated.

The 1980's were a different time. I don't think their investment will pay off.

FL SAAC

Señor Royce,

if they deliver on their promises of a new improved menu, with the refurbished venue and the former existing polynesian shows.

They will hit it out of the ballpark

The South Florida Area or Tri County Area truly does not follow any path or flow.

What happens West or North of this area, actually the country does not hold true down here.

The Tri-County Area is Florida's largest and wealthiest region.

It includes the five largest metropolitan areas in South Florida, including Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Boca Raton, and West Palm Beach, which attract many world tourists and new residents each year.

We live where the WORLD comes for vacations

And if you look specifically at Miami let me say this;

Miami is not America

Miami is not Florida

Miami is MIAMI

Impossible to explain

It can only be experienced

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars