News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original numbers matching engine found do I pay the ransom ?

Started by 427hunter, August 31, 2024, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

427hunter

Looking for some opinions - I located my original numbers matching block, What value would members here think that would add to the car? He is asking more than 7 times a 289 block value and it would need to be rebuilt.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Does it include the main caps? If so I'd go for it.
When the value exceeds price the deal is made
Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

7 times a 289 block value

that does seem like a lot today

but I would say next year it will be at 10 times the value

Got a saying I bought to early.

but in future time it will be a great buy

so if you can swing it, do it
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

427hunter

I appreciate the response, It's not the money as much as the fact that it feels like it's a ransom.

Anyone have any experience with what a numbers engine does to increase the value over the non numbers over the counter hipo that is in the car now?

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

greekz

If having the original block is important to you, then go ahead and buy it.  You do not have to rebuild it right away if you do not want to.  You could do an external detail and have it as a static display in your garage.  It will be available when you decide to sell the car.  The next caretaker can rebuild if they want.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

67 GT350

I have heard, that numbers matching block adds 10%, but I do not remember where, I think a flipper....Not my idea, it is just what I heard....
RARE  Signature Delete

GT350Lad

I think you need to buy it. Can you share any of the story on now it was found?

Hope it all ends well. I would go for it

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

98SVT - was 06GT

Many people with "numbers matching" blocks do not have the block their car left the factory with. When cars reached astronomical values restamping blocks became fashionable. The guys who were hard to catch were the ones who matched casting date to the VIN range.
It is ransom. The guy figures you'll get X amount more for your car with it's original engine and wants a cut of your unearned profit.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427heaven

I have a personal story to share about an Original 1966 Shelby GT 350 engine I removed from my car a few years ago. Engine was listed here and was offered up for the current owner to see and he had NO interest in it, thats ok no big deal. Many owners are willing to purchase anywhere from 7-10 times the amount of a standard 289 because it means that much to have the ORIGINAL engine back in their baby. A few chose to POO POO mine because it was painted black, a few chose to jump on the POO POO band wagon because it had an ORIGINAL COBRA dual quad intake on it and then there was one guy that said it had a FRAM oil filter on it ..... IMAGINE THAT! What some thought was way too much then, is just a drop in the bucket today! I believe my engine sits proudly on display in the FASTEST MAN ON PLANET EARTHS showroom! R.I.P. GEORGE- GOD SPEED!!!

shelbydoug

You are being held up for ransom. You. It isn't worth as much to someone else since at best it would be a date appropriate block.

I think a 289hp is going to be expensive-ish to begin with but exactly what do you mean by 7 times what one would cost? $3,500? These days that is not a terrible price...and if he has the block, where are the original heads?

What makes an HP is the main caps.

Personally I would look for a good "date appropriate" 289 block, then find a set of caps and give it to the machine shop to line bore it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

W. S.

Quote from: 427heaven on August 31, 2024, 09:25:37 PMI have a personal story to share about an Original 1966 Shelby GT 350 engine I removed from my car a few years ago. Engine was listed here and was offered up for the current owner to see and he had NO interest in it, thats ok no big deal. Many owners are willing to purchase anywhere from 7-10 times the amount of a standard 289 because it means that much to have the ORIGINAL engine back in their baby. A few chose to POO POO mine because it was painted black, a few chose to jump on the POO POO band wagon because it had an ORIGINAL COBRA dual quad intake on it and then there was one guy that said it had a FRAM oil filter on it ..... IMAGINE THAT! What some thought was way too much then, is just a drop in the bucket today! I believe my engine sits proudly on display in the FASTEST MAN ON PLANET EARTHS showroom! R.I.P. GEORGE- GOD SPEED!!!
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

I'd say get it if you have the means.  Yes, it is ransom, but it is like reuniting Carroll Shelby with his original heart.  But then again, that might have been a bad thing in his case.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

427hunter

I appreciate the input, I am going to stew on it for a while - if my car didn't already have a hipo 289 in it this would be a lot easier decision.

The general consensus appears to be, get it for bragging rights.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Rickmustang

IMHO 10-15 percent to answer your original question. You won't regret doing it