News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

S H E L B Y de Mejico

Started by FL SAAC, January 30, 2020, 08:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Pues aqui tienen el Shelby de la senora del Doctor Eduardo Velasquez de Chavez
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Es un vehiculo totalmente genial
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Una photo del  Doctor Eduardo Velasquez de Chavez en sus muy buenos tiempos con Shelby  .... mero mero
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

El capo especial para el shelby
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

Prototype

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

The arrival of the first production prototype (1967) was an occasion celebrated at the Ford Dealer's Convention held in Guanajuato, Mexico.

Pictured left to right are Ford dealers Pablo Bush, Marceal Llano, President of Ford Mexico Sev Bass, Ford Dealer Hipolito Gerard and Velazquez.

This car (complete with Terlingua Racing decals) was the sister car to the infamous "Little Red."
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

Road Reptile

Hi 67 Fans,
Just going to say thanks for posting this picture and providing names. This car appears Black and we need to know when and where it was made. With 10 spoke wheels it would be sometime after Feb.in 1967----how do you know it is a sister to any other car??? Where are the people pictured now and is this car still around?? The mystery needs to be solved.
R.R.

FL SAAC

1966 photograph taken at the La Morena Dinner Club was left to right: Shelby International S.A. Sales Manager Manual Ortiz, Laura Alamen, Carroll Shelby and Manuella and Eduardo Velazquez.

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

In 1967, Shelby International, S.A. was incorporated with Velazquez and Carroll Shelby as partners.

Acting as a catalyst was Siffren "Sev" Bass, longtime friend of Carroll Shelby's and the newly appointed President of Ford of Mexico.

Sev Bass' part in this tale was to arrange a delivery schedule with the Ford factory in Mexico City, link the newly-formed company up to the Ford of Mexico dealer network and locate funding for the project.

Between the three, the Shelby de Mexico undertaking was a "marriage" made in heaven!

Of particular interest is the fact that while relatively few (reputedly 47) American-built Shelby Mustang GT-350 coupes were produced, all of the Shelby de Mexico's were coupes since that was the only body style produced in Mexico, making these cars quite distinctive in appearance.

Additionally, due to Mexico's quest for increased labor and employment, Mexican automobile manufacturers were required by law to employ 45% Mexican-manufactured parts. Shelby de Mexicos came equipped with the infamous "Mexican 302" engine forged in Hermosillo, Mexico.

Upholstery was different than U.S.-built Mustangs and the rear axles were manufactured by Motorola/Dana Corporation of Mexico rather than Ford.

Even the tires were manufactured domestically using special molds shipped in from Akron (at Shelby's request) by Goodyear Tire.

When the first Shelby de Mexico was debuted in 1967, it bore a strange resemblance to another Shelby creation known as "Little Red."

In truth that first Shelby de Mexico was constructed in L.A. at Shelby American as the Mexican export prototype, and was built right alongside that now long-departed, historical red coupe.
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars