News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original numbers matching engine found do I pay the ransom ?

Started by 427hunter, August 31, 2024, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Reptile

Hi
Just a quick message to say be very careful with this block if it still is standard bore a ball hone may do more harm than good. It is EXTREMELY important that it be properly cleaned if it spun a bearing and if you can WAIT untill you can spend the money to do it properly-honed with torque plates is a crutial step to provide good ring seating. Ask any pro engine builder. We wait to see what you report next.
R.R.

pbf777

+1    :) 

And particularly:

Quote from: Road Reptile on September 04, 2024, 06:42:48 PM..............if it still is standard bore a ball hone may do more harm than good.

"Ball-Hones" (aka, "dinkleberry-hone"  ::)  ) are not an acceptable instrument to be utilized in the block cylinder bores for providing a proper surface acceptable for the rings, this particularly of those of this era.

Back when engines were slow and the rings were of thick and fat cast iron, well O.K., one could 'say' that the ball-hone tool "worked"; but with today's more sophisticated piston ring engineering there are greater concerns in the requirements for their successful application and with proper cylinder bore surfaces being of greater importance  ;)

Not to say I haven't and don't still utilize ball-hones, but generally only for instances of where for example the block bores are rusty and scaly, and then only for the purpose of removing the heavy stuff that would otherwise just load-up a proper honing/boring stone; but 'never' as a supposed finished surface ready to be put into service.   8)

Scott.

427 Hunter, did you share how the seller of the block and you came together?

I mean, for all he knew it was a K-code block only. Was he the former owner of your car? That would help explain how he knew it belonged to your car.

Just curious on the back story.

Quote from: wcampbell on September 02, 2024, 10:30:18 AMConsider my situation...a fellow "owner" and "car guy" knows where my engine is and talks to the current owner occasionally - who calls him asking if he's interested in negotiating for the engine. Despite this he isn't willing to let me talk directly to the engine owner even when I offered a "fee" if a deal to get the engine back materialized. Instead he's trying to buy the engine and then deal directly with me. While I'm okay with that too- he doesn't seemed to be interested making this happen to help me reunite the two. So I'm stuck knowing it's out there and potentially available, but a fellow "hobbyist" is blocking me and isn't allowing it to happen. This is almost the total opposite of your scenario.

This story is the more frustrating scenario.  🤬

427hunter

Quote from: 2112 on September 07, 2024, 01:24:17 PM427 Hunter, did you share how the seller of the block and you came together?

I mean, for all he knew it was a K-code block only. Was he the former owner of your car? That would help explain how he knew it belonged to your car.

Just curious on the back story.

I really don't want to get into it because it will only make me angry, listing my  Shelby number (853) in my profile was enough for the middle man to find me. 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Quote from: 427hunter on September 07, 2024, 03:43:34 PMI really don't want to get into it because it will only make me angry, listing my  Shelby number (853) in my profile was enough for the middle man to find me. 

Sounds like you and @wcampbell have the same story.