News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

‘67 Drag car?

Started by 2112, September 14, 2024, 12:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any one recognize this car?

SOHC engine had to be a tight fit.

TA Coupe

Interesting in that it looks like it's running fat tires on a set of mag stars up front instead of a set of skinny tires.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

deathsled

Car looks brutal.  Unless the bed of the truck lowers, I am interested to know how it navigated up and down those steep ramps.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

JD

Quote from: deathsled on September 14, 2024, 10:42:08 AMCar looks brutal.  Unless the bed of the truck lowers, I am interested to know how it navigated up and down those steep ramps.

I was looking at that too, maybe the trailer "tilts"
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

deathsled

Quote from: JD on September 14, 2024, 10:53:53 AM
Quote from: deathsled on September 14, 2024, 10:42:08 AMCar looks brutal.  Unless the bed of the truck lowers, I am interested to know how it navigated up and down those steep ramps.

I was looking at that too, maybe the trailer "tilts"
I would think it has to.  Otherwise the front end would eventually not look as it does in the photo presented.  You are very observant.

JD

Trailered a few cars over the years ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

pbf777

Typically in period, one would utilize either the trailer landing gear/trailer jack or, as looking at how steep that angle is and the sum of lifting that would be required to make for an acceptable angle, probably the as brought along for the job floor jack under the tongue of the trailer to ease the loading and unloading. And of those utilizing this process, I've even seen at times the rear wheels of the tow vehicle being lifted nearly, if not completely, off the ground, and when not actually in the process of the loading/unloading one would drop the jack until the next event.   :)

Scott.

tesgt350

I have seen that Car in Print several times way back.  There is also a White with Blue Stripes Drag Car with Tubs and full Cage from way back too.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on September 14, 2024, 10:42:08 AM.....I am interested to know how it navigated up and down those steep ramps.
You put the weight of the cammer on those ramps and they automatically go flat on the ground......
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 16, 2024, 03:00:51 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 14, 2024, 10:42:08 AM.....I am interested to know how it navigated up and down those steep ramps.
You put the weight of the cammer on those ramps and they automatically go flat on the ground......
That makes sense.  I cannot imagine anyone in possession of such a car would be so reckless in the loading and unloading but there are some notable exceptions just one YouTube search away.

pbf777

Quote from: deathsled on September 17, 2024, 02:31:30 PMI cannot imagine anyone in possession of such a car would be so reckless in the loading and unloading.

I think we've lost track of "how it was back then", and that for most back then, the idea of having one's own dedicated car trailer was not so common and quite the luxury; and particularly not all of the enclosed trailers that we've become used to that it seems today so prevalent.

As an example of even corporate level investment in transportation equipment in period, here's a photo of Carrol Shelby Co.'s own open, single axle trailers with a couple of Daytonas going for a ride, towed by the Ford pickups.  :o 

https://www.saac.com/forum/gallery/204-210318194208-740554.jpeg

B.T.W., nice loading/positioning job on the second one in line!  ::)

Scott.

J_Speegle

Quote from: pbf777 on September 17, 2024, 03:07:12 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 17, 2024, 02:31:30 PMI cannot imagine anyone in possession of such a car would be so reckless in the loading and unloading.

I think we've lost track of "how it was back then", and that for most back then, the idea of having one's own dedicated car trailer was not so common and quite the luxury; and particularly not all of the enclosed trailers that we've become used to that it seems today so prevalent.

Agreed. They were fun and "special" but just cars in many way and treated as such. At least this example had a trailer and the car wasn't towed on the ground like at least one of mine where they just cut a couple of holes through the front valance and welded a couple of L brackets onto the front cross member that way they only had to install two bolts for the tow hitch and drop the driveline - automatic car  ::) 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: pbf777 on September 17, 2024, 03:07:12 PMI think we've lost track of "how it was back then"

Jim Wallace got one of Mike Shoen's Coupes out of the Petersen Museum (the orig one on Hollywood Blvd) and hauled it to SAAC 1 in Oakland (400+ miles). I asked him about the junk trailer he was hauling it on. Yep you guessed it Mike had also bought one of those trailers from SA to haul his Coupes around on. When he'd borrow that car for a COCOA meeting he would just drive it from Hollywood to Anaheim.

In the mid 80s we borrowed an Eagle Indy car from Gurney for a photo shoot. We picked it up with an old rusty wood deck car trailer. Gurney's guys were shaking their heads and advised us if anything happened to the car the Arciero Bros (the cars sponsors) would see to it that we became part of their next parking lot projects......
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

From the FB post I lifted the picture from;

"I remember that car very well Earl balzan he wes stationed at Blytheville Air Force Base"