News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Pink 69 G.T. 500 found but it's a repaint.

Started by deathsled, September 14, 2024, 11:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

propayne

We are judging from photos which we all know aren't strictly accurate but the color sure looks similar to Connie's Car.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

deathsled

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on September 18, 2024, 07:45:32 AMI once owned a pink 65 GT 350....
It was #147 or #149....
I owned both of them but don't recall which one.

That's right....

Original owner painted it pink and gave it to his daughter

I heard they're doing some wonderful things with mental illness nowadays.
I would just say that the car had a gender reassignment.  Sounds about right to me.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 18, 2024, 08:32:23 AMPink was a special paint color used for various Ford promotions. There was also a color called Dusk Rose that was a pink hue.
Technically the special paint colors never got names, but people often attached various names just because it was easier to identify them

Over the years all these cars have been called Playboy Pink.

There was only Shelby painted pink. It was painted by Chaffee  Ford at Fords request. That is the car given to Connie Kreski. There is a paperwork trail

That car started off as a pastel grey car. Kreski had the  car repainted as you mentioned because it attracted too much unwanted attention

Interesting subject I suppose?

There were other non-Ford cars presented as awards as well. There was a Pantera. I think also a Lotus Europa?

I do remember seeing an original '57 T-bird that was painted "Sunset Rose" and I think it was a supercharged car as well. I was about 5 and I told my Mom I would buy it for her, but never quite got there?

She did use my 68 GT350 for three months while she waited for her 73 Pinto to be built. I had a pickup that I used for work at the time.

She would tell me the days stories almost everyday. She was most concerned with the local Police car that wanted to race her and the guy at the Macy's parking lot that was coveting the scoops suspiciously?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 18, 2024, 12:07:37 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on September 18, 2024, 08:32:23 AMPink was a special paint color used for various Ford promotions. There was also a color called Dusk Rose that was a pink hue.
Technically the special paint colors never got names, but people often attached various names just because it was easier to identify them

Over the years all these cars have been called Playboy Pink.

There was only Shelby painted pink. It was painted by Chaffee  Ford at Fords request. That is the car given to Connie Kreski. There is a paperwork trail

That car started off as a pastel grey car. Kreski had the  car repainted as you mentioned because it attracted too much unwanted attention

Interesting subject I suppose?

There were other non-Ford cars presented as awards as well. There was a Pantera. I think also a Lotus Europa?

I do remember seeing an original '57 T-bird that was painted "Sunset Rose" and I think it was a supercharged car as well. I was about 5 and I told my Mom I would buy it for her, but never quite got there?

She did use my 68 GT350 for three months while she waited for her 73 Pinto to be built. I had a pickup that I used for work at the time.

She would tell me the days stories almost everyday. She was most concerned with the local Police car that wanted to race her and the guy at the Macy's parking lot that was coveting the scoops suspiciously?

https://racewayhussy.blog/2021/05/12/think-pink-the-playmate-of-the-year-cars-1964-1975/

Coralsnake

I have confirmed with Mr Liska the correct color for Connie's car was the same as the pink used in the 1968 Rainbow Color Promotion.

It is Ford code WT 9036. PPG / Ditzler 71617
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

FL SAAC

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

I wonder how they selected Chaffee in Hawthorne (south of LAX) to paint the car. They weren't known as a big Shelby or performance dealer.

Playmate cars 1964-75 https://racewayhussy.blog/2021/05/12/think-pink-the-playmate-of-the-year-cars-1964-1975/
1971 must have been disappointed.......

Mary Kay cosmetics was probably the biggest buyer of pink cars.
In 1968, Mary Kay Ash purchased the first pink Cadillac from a Dallas dealership, where it was repainted on site to match the "Mountain Laurel Blush" in a compact Ash carried. The following year, she rewarded her top five consultants with pink Coupe de Ville Cadillacs. The tradition has continued ever since. Pink Cadillacs have become synonymous with Mary Kay Inc. Since that first car, Mary Kay Inc. has painted over 100,000 Cadillacs. They ended the program in June 2024 - I wonder if the old caddies will become collectable - not.

Today Ford only offers special paint via fleet sales on trucks and police cars.

VSO Special Paints & Lighting
New VSO Paint Request
A Special Paint Formulation is a Custom Paint color developed for a specific Ford Fleet customer. For assistance, the Vehicle Special Order Team may be contacted at 1-800-34-FLEET, menu selection #2. VSO Paint Supplier Cross Reference Codes
Special Paint Timing
Production of special paint orders that meet the minimum unit requirement is approximately 60 to 90 days from order entry.
Available Allocation and short supply/controlled commodities determine when orders will be selected for scheduling.
Development of a Special Paint Formulation ID # (custom paint color) may take as long as 10-12 weeks.
Special Paint is available on the following vehicles:

E-Series Cutaway
F-150
F-250 through F-550 Super Duty
F-650 and F-750
Police Interceptor Utility
Transit
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

Chafee was the closest and delivering dealer.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 18, 2024, 03:48:19 PMI wonder how they selected Chaffee in Hawthorne (south of LAX) to paint the car. They weren't known as a big Shelby or performance dealer.

Playmate cars 1964-75 https://racewayhussy.blog/2021/05/12/think-pink-the-playmate-of-the-year-cars-1964-1975/
1971 must have been disappointed.......

Mary Kay cosmetics was probably the biggest buyer of pink cars.
In 1968, Mary Kay Ash purchased the first pink Cadillac from a Dallas dealership, where it was repainted on site to match the "Mountain Laurel Blush" in a compact Ash carried. The following year, she rewarded her top five consultants with pink Coupe de Ville Cadillacs. The tradition has continued ever since. Pink Cadillacs have become synonymous with Mary Kay Inc. Since that first car, Mary Kay Inc. has painted over 100,000 Cadillacs. They ended the program in June 2024 - I wonder if the old caddies will become collectable - not.

Today Ford only offers special paint via fleet sales on trucks and police cars.

VSO Special Paints & Lighting
New VSO Paint Request
A Special Paint Formulation is a Custom Paint color developed for a specific Ford Fleet customer. For assistance, the Vehicle Special Order Team may be contacted at 1-800-34-FLEET, menu selection #2. VSO Paint Supplier Cross Reference Codes
Special Paint Timing
Production of special paint orders that meet the minimum unit requirement is approximately 60 to 90 days from order entry.
Available Allocation and short supply/controlled commodities determine when orders will be selected for scheduling.
Development of a Special Paint Formulation ID # (custom paint color) may take as long as 10-12 weeks.
Special Paint is available on the following vehicles:

E-Series Cutaway
F-150
F-250 through F-550 Super Duty
F-650 and F-750
Police Interceptor Utility
Transit

I remember right after "THE" lawsuit was settled, SA introduced the new GT350's to "us" at "the convention". The first color was white with blue stripes but it wasn't Wimbeldon White and to me looked strange.

That was the comment SA was getting about it and actually I asked CS's...hum, "Head Exec"...that's fair enough to call her, Amy, about the color and she said, "Ford wouldn't paint them Wimbeldon White for us".

So granted, Corporate policies are very similar to US Presidential policy and it changes with each administration, but that is how it was then, circa 2007. I suppose the excuse was "not enough volume" to do them in Wimbeldon or is it Whimpleton?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 18, 2024, 04:10:06 PMChafee was the closest and delivering dealer.
Makes sense the South Bay is where the up and coming lived in the 70s.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 18, 2024, 04:25:05 PMI remember right after "THE" lawsuit was settled, SA introduced the new GT350's to "us" at "the convention". The first color was white with blue stripes but it wasn't Wimbeldon White and to me looked strange.

That was the comment SA was getting about it and actually I asked CS's...hum, "Head Exec"...that's fair enough to call her, Amy, about the color and she said, "Ford wouldn't paint them Wimbeldon White for us".

So granted, Corporate policies are very similar to US Presidential policy and it changes with each administration, but that is how it was then, circa 2007. I suppose the excuse was "not enough volume" to do them in Wimbeldon or is it Whimpleton?

CS would have ground the base car price to the minimum. In the end he probably figured not paying for a special color wouldn't affect the bottom line. Or the Ford stylists nixed the idea - rest assured IF they really did ask for Wimbeldon Ford would have generated some paperwork on costs and a timeline to produce them.

If this production was split they can do less than 1,000 cars (CS did nearly 3,000 white 2007s) - A total of 1,964 units of a version of the 2015 Ford Mustang GT Coupé with the performance pack and either a manual or automatic transmission, were made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Ford Mustang vehicle lineup. Changes included a choice of two special edition body colors based on 1964 model year colors (Wimbledon White and Kona Blue). This model will be marketed as a 2014 1/2 model, paying tribute to the original 1964 1/2 model. Wimbledon White and Kona Blue will no longer be available exterior colors on the Mustang after the 50 Year Limited Edition's discontinuation when the model sells out.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 18, 2024, 05:11:09 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on September 18, 2024, 04:25:05 PMI remember right after "THE" lawsuit was settled, SA introduced the new GT350's to "us" at "the convention". The first color was white with blue stripes but it wasn't Wimbeldon White and to me looked strange.

CS would have ground the base car price to the minimum. In the end he probably figured not paying for a special color wouldn't affect the bottom line. Or the Ford stylists nixed the idea - rest assured IF they really did ask for Wimbeldon Ford would have generated some paperwork on costs and a timeline to produce them.

If this production was split they can do less than 1,000 cars (CS did nearly 3,000 white 2007s) - A total of 1,964 units of a version of the 2015 Ford Mustang GT Coupé with the performance pack and either a manual or automatic transmission, were made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Ford Mustang vehicle lineup. Changes included a choice of two special edition body colors based on 1964 model year colors (Wimbledon White and Kona Blue). This model will be marketed as a 2014 1/2 model, paying tribute to the original 1964 1/2 model. Wimbledon White and Kona Blue will no longer be available exterior colors on the Mustang after the 50 Year Limited Edition's discontinuation when the model sells out.

I can only reflect what Amy told me when I asked her. She said "we asked them and they won't do it. We are aware of it. It is an issue". It was apparent to me that she was expecting the question.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Stillakid54

I have always thought this was one of the great nostalgic pieces to the cars of the day. Anyone could go into their Ford dealer, and if they were willing to wait, could order a special paint on an everyday car. My father ordered a special paint color on his 64 Galaxy 500.
The German's will still do this...for a price.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

shelbymann1970

The pic I have of the Kreski car  the end caps are off and appears to have the original pastel color in the area hidden by the end caps. The car was "hidden in plain site" in a driveway for a long time in So Cal. Longtime owners know what they have.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Coralsnake

I have heard it might be at MCACN, but cant confirm that