News:

SPECIAL NOTICE - See SAAC-50 Forum for DATE CHANGE for SAAC-50

Main Menu

'69 Convertible Emblem

Started by Survivor, September 10, 2024, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special Ed

These snake and cobra emblem were also use on the 69 torino cobra  and sold under c9oz part number.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on October 02, 2024, 07:44:45 AMThese snake and cobra emblem were also use on the 69 torino cobra  and sold under c9oz part number.
I'll bring both types I have next week to the show for anyone to see the 2 different ones I have.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 01, 2024, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 01, 2024, 11:16:10 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 15, 2024, 11:10:22 AMJust to report that the metal of the emblem is such that if a slight curvature of a particular emblem needs adjustment it can be typically be carefully bent to conform. It doesn't take much pressure to accomplish if at all. The metal given its composition and thickness is flexible enough that the emblem will typically flex to conform to the upper roof area contour when pressed in place regardless of if straight or slightly curved. 
There are definitely 2 different snakes for the 69 Shelby. Nobody bent my vert snakes before I bought them along with FB emblems for my spare collection of emblems. As fellow SAAC member has my convertible mold to check a large bag of NOS green backed emblems he has that he bought off the son of a guy who worked for a company that made them. I'll check and see if he found any vert emblems in the bag. I really do not think I could bend a FB emblem without breaking it to conform into a vert emblem dimensionally. On another not the GT500 in the pic was painted black once from grabber blue and all jambs were painted grabber blue and the roof emblems were old and pitted like the grill emblems and they were grill emblems. Yep grill emblems mounted on the roof in the pic. All 3 emblems with the same patina of pitting so I doubt the roof emblems were added later by an owner but am wondering if the dealer installed them because of  theft. Barrell clips in roof. I kept it that way after resto because I didn't know in 1990 what I know now.
Gary, your vert emblem observations are not in question. To me it is a not a issue that is worth debating about given that a typical flat emblem can be made to conform to the rear quarter on a convertible . I have done it many times.
Thanks Bob. Both emblems are curved and I measured the differences on a flat plate and it isn't much. It is nice to know I can bend my fastback ones to fit my vert as I don't have a pair left for my vert that are new.  Bob, I agree with your comment about the snake only but since I got pics of my car from 70-75 and I also had the original Shelby emblems on my quarters I decided to add them. It looks cleaner with just the snake.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Survivor

Is there a source-maybe a Ford sketch or something in writing, that shows the location at which the emblems should be attached-again, for a convertible.

Survivor

So, the Ford illustration shows the emblems in place for both the fastback and convertibles.  Seems pretty clear that the plan at Ford/AO was to have them installed during production.  At least that was the plan.  Whether that actually happened or happened in all cases seems a little less clear.  I believe we have some early pics and/or some feedback from knowledgeable members showing or noting the possibility that some cars may have come thru w/o the emblems in place.  Maybe it was the theft issue that put a halt to installation at the factory such that dealers were then charged with installation?  Maybe a factory worker just forgot to attach them?  Maybe they ran out of emblems?  Maybe it was a pre-production illustration or plan that was never fully executed?  Or maybe there was an actual production date either before or after which the emblem plan was ditched.  I started the thread for one very simple reason-to find out what is considered "factory correct".  Or, maybe put another way, historically correct.  Not for show car points or restoration purposes.  Like so many other things in life, maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Survivor on October 03, 2024, 12:53:07 PMSo, the Ford illustration shows the emblems in place for both the fastback and convertibles.  Seems pretty clear that the plan at Ford/AO was to have them installed during production.  At least that was the plan.  Whether that actually happened or happened in all cases seems a little less clear.  I believe we have some early pics and/or some feedback from knowledgeable members showing or noting the possibility that some cars may have come thru w/o the emblems in place.  Maybe it was the theft issue that put a halt to installation at the factory such that dealers were then charged with installation?  Maybe a factory worker just forgot to attach them?  Maybe they ran out of emblems?  Maybe it was a pre-production illustration or plan that was never fully executed?  Or maybe there was an actual production date either before or after which the emblem plan was ditched. I started the thread for one very simple reason-to find out what is considered "factory correct".  Or, maybe put another way, historically correct.  Not for show car points or restoration purposes.  Like so many other things in life, maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle.
Historically correct is what the "show points" in at least in the two main Shelby judging venues are based on. I think if one reads the thread at least a few things become evident. What was meant to happen and what actually happened evolved over time. This was because evidence shows that some cars came to the Dealer without emblems for whatever reason. At least in the case of Dealer installed emblem a variety of configurations happened.
Typical placement has been established of a particular emblem factory or dealer installed regardless of if and when one or two emblems are used . The anything is possible placement cope out doesn't apply here. That is unless there is evidence to support otherwise. There is typical and not typical. Example snake emblem and lower Cobra or Shelby emblem mounted on the side scoop is not typical placement and open to be challenged. Could it happen with a dealer install ? Certainly but unless you have reasonable evidence to support the out of the ordinary placement you just look like someone making up a reason to justify something not original.   Since it has been established that placement of the emblems varied, the combinations talked about in this thread are considered historically correct. That is again unless a vintage picture like what happens sometimes of the same specific car is available. Armed with this understanding of the variety of placement that happened talked about in this thread I don't think any reasonable enthusiast would think that there was only one way that they came . That is without supporting evidence for a specific car.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Bob, I just thought it was cool that by happenstance Bill Cook had 3 pics taken in 1969 at Ed Martin of 3 69s with different configurations. It doesn't mean the the one fastback left the dealership without the emblems on the roof pillar as you mentioned that the dealer could have installed them. It is also cool the original owner of the silver jade GT500 vert still owns that car and I've talked to him and seen it at the Spring Fling a few times(he still has it like in the pic from 1969 with just the snake).
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Survivor

Jesus-sorry, I was running out to a meeting when I sent my post.  Meant to say "car show".  Anyway, thank you for the summary response and I do agree in total.  Just to clarify and b/c I'm not a big fan of the emblem on convertibles, it would be considered "correct" to have no emblem at all.         

Bob Gaines

I will jump in again and say since some cars were delivered to dealers without emblems as vintage pictures and personal observations validate, a argument could be made that a no emblem car would be correct too. That is given that the established standard is as delivered to the first customer when brand new. The cars look beautiful without a emblem but expect push back because it is clear based on the evidence that at least one emblem was expected to be placed in the typical locations on fastbacks or converts but that is just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Survivor

The photos submitted seem to show the adhesive as green.  I contacted the Ebay seller that CS referenced earlier in this thread and he's telling me his adhesive is blue.  Should I be concerned that the Ebay emblems are repops or could they have come thru in both colors from the factory.

Coralsnake

I guess it depends what your definition of "repro" is ...many emblems are made by the OEM suppliers
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Survivor on October 07, 2024, 10:01:24 AMThe photos submitted seem to show the adhesive as green.  I contacted the Ebay seller that CS referenced earlier in this thread and he's telling me his adhesive is blue.  Should I be concerned that the Ebay emblems are repops or could they have come thru in both colors from the factory.
My original snake emblems have green backing on the black adhesive. Like a green plastic on some and like a green felt/paper on others. But as Pete has mentioned many emblems are reproduced by the OEM supplier.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Survivor

I guess I would define a reproduction part as anything other than factory original, nos or used original.  I'm assuming (I know), that the pics. of the back side of the emblems submitted in this thread are not repops. and as such, show a green adhesive.  The Ebay seller states that he is selling new old stock emblems and that the back side adhesive is blue.  So, I was simply asking whether any member might know if the factory original, nos or used original emblems (not repops) came from the factory/manufacturer with a green adhesive only or also in blue.  Thx.   

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Survivor on October 07, 2024, 11:20:42 AMI guess I would define a reproduction part as anything other than factory original, nos or used original.  I'm assuming (I know), that the pics. of the back side of the emblems submitted in this thread are not repops. and as such, show a green adhesive.  The Ebay seller states that he is selling new old stock emblems and that the back side adhesive is blue.  So, I was simply asking whether any member might know if the factory original, nos or used original emblems (not repops) came from the factory/manufacturer with a green adhesive only or also in blue.  Thx.   
If you want green ones I got a friend who has a big bag full of emblems(green backed) he got from the son of a guy who worked at a company who made the emblems. This guy posts here and has sold parts here. i should be going over his house soon as I have bought some of his NOS parts already.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990