News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Please pray for the foks affected by the storm Helene here in North Carolina

Started by BGlover67, September 29, 2024, 07:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Just a small update for those following, or who have plans to visit the area:

Blue Ridge Parkway is closed indefinitely with multiple sections washed away.

Sections of RT26 and RT40 are also closed through mid to late 2025

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Drew Pojedinec

Yes, south Georgia (where I live) was rocked pretty hard.
We are mostly fine now, the focus on NC/TN flood stuff is way more critical at this time.

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

mark p

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on September 30, 2024, 08:25:11 AMUnimaginable!  ... we made a donation to Samaritan's Purse (they're in Boone) but, whatever charity you chose, please do likewise.

That looked like a good suggestion. Done.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird / '22 Mach 1

NC TRACKRAT

The death, devastation and destruction is far worse than shown on national news. Thousands of people have lost their loved ones, pets, farm animals, their homes, businesses and inventory, jobs, their cars, trucks, farm machinery, clothes...Everything.  It will take years, perhaps decades to recover...if ever.  This will give you a small sense of the situation and what they face:
https://open.substack.com/pub/rwmalonemd/p/news-from-the-frontline-of-helene?r=4n72x&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email
5S071, 6S1467

FL SAAC

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on October 07, 2024, 08:52:21 AMThe death, devastation and destruction is far worse than shown on national news. Thousands of people have lost their loved ones, pets, farm animals, their homes, businesses and inventory, jobs, their cars, trucks, farm machinery, clothes...Everything.  It will take years, perhaps decades to recover...if ever.  This will give you a small sense of the situation and what they face:
https://open.substack.com/pub/rwmalonemd/p/news-from-the-frontline-of-helene?r=4n72x&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Agreed, we participated in the aftermath of hurricane Andrew. Believe the reported death toll was under 100. Unfortunately that certainly was not an accurate number. Numerous refrigerated tractor trailers had unaccounted, unidentifiable, undocumented casualties stored. These unfortunates dis not make the official death count.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus

Home of the Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers

I have all UNGOLD cars

Drew Pojedinec

So I read the link. Seemed a little "off"
Being here in the middle of it, I do kinda understand asking outsiders to hold back or coordinate with others.

My wife runs a church, she fed 200+ people yesterday.
Great stuff, but at the same time she is wasting a lot of energy and local resources managing folks who are well intentioned.
Examples:
-Dumptruck load of diapers and assorted supplies show up, delivered and everyone left. The local volunteers are on bikes because their cars are totaled. No way to distribute. Will likely end up in a dumpster after the first rain.
-someone towed a portable shower unit that needs management, electricity and water. None is available, probably best thing is to park it somewhere and forget about it... Meanwhile my wife is out at 7:30 coordinating that mess.

Appreciated, but honestly please remember the folks volunteering to deal with this often don't have water or power at home, they have their own drama they are trying to manage.
In one case a work crew showed up, but they all need to be housed and fed by people who have no housing or food...
So guess I'm saying it's complicated.

For folks out in the country, it's gonna be awhile, maybe a month before they get power and water, and now the prospect of Milton and the already overworked lineman and other folks.  Daunting situation for sure.

The most useful folks show up with a tent and a chain saw.  Just bodies available to do whatever, we will be hosting 3 dudes tomorrow for that. But still logistics, getting it set up for them to do the best work takes time and energy.

Bill

Quote from: Drew Pojedinec on October 07, 2024, 07:32:14 PMThe most useful folks show up with a tent and a chain saw.  Just bodies available to do whatever, we will be hosting 3 dudes tomorrow for that. But still logistics, getting it set up for them to do the best work takes time and energy.

Drew,

Exactly, while I'm lucky, and have power back at the house, I've spent the last week out assisting where I can. Most of the last few days was with my chainsaw, my tools, my gas, and of course my time. Yes, NC is still the hardest hit, but even in my large town, there are still folks without a way off their property other than to hoof it. For the young, it's easy (walking to school, up hill, both ways, you know from where you and I both grew up), for the 70-90 year olds, not so much. A couple more days, and the few that are left cut off from the outside world, will have that access restored. My small group of friends will make sure of that. Will we head off to NC next, from what I understand, they are having issues keeping track of, and organizing such small volunteer groups, so while I've signed up, I'm doubting I get that call. If so, I'm there, no questions asked.

As for those that play armchair quarterback, from areas far away, living vicariously through whatever they see on TV, I can tell them the TV does not tell the tale, nor show the sheer devastation, nor show what Drew mentioned above in a way to really get what is occurring on the ground. In closing, and especially today 10/7, I ask that you say a prayer for all those effected by the chaos that has ravaged the world we live in, pray for those taking time out of their lives to lend a hand, pray.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

CharlesTurner

Thanks Bill and Drew for sharing your first-hand perspective.  I'm not able to help directly, but did the only thing I knew to do, which was to donate $$.  My in-laws live south of Asheville, but their house is on top of a mountain and luckily no damage.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge