News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine rebuidl

Started by George J, October 17, 2024, 07:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George J

I've decided to get my original 289 Hi-Po engine out of my '66 GT-350 rebuilt that has been in the corner of my garage for some 15 years rebuilt. I've been asking all my car friends on how little or how far I should go on the rebuild, refresh to Stroker? So after the smoke cleared I'm going to stay with original as possible with some minor internal upgrades. Port & polish heads, roller rockers &  hydraulic  followers, forged pistons & balanced. I don't plan on tacking the car so I don't need a lot of HP. Any one have some other recommendations?  I'm thinking of Keith from Precision Machine do the work.
George J

OldGuy

If it were mine, I would forget the port and polish and hydraulic camshaft. You can EASILY de value your engine by porting it. NOTHING sounds better than a solid lifter hipo. I don't consider a hydraulic camshaft an upgrade-especially to a hipo. It ain't a hipo unless it sounds like a hipo.

greekz

Quote from: OldGuy on October 17, 2024, 08:04:57 PMIf it were mine, I would forget the port and polish and hydraulic camshaft. You can EASILY de value your engine by porting it. NOTHING sounds better than a solid lifter hipo. I don't consider a hydraulic camshaft an upgrade-especially to a hipo. It ain't a hipo unless it sounds like a hipo.

Amen to that.  When I drive up to my weekly gathering of hot rodders, they always remark on the unique sound of my solid lifter engine.  Nothing sounds like a hipo!
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

98SVT - was 06GT

If it was rebuilt and sitting in a corner for 15 years it should be fine. I'd even consider not even dropping the pan if it's got less than 10,000 miles on it. GO AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE. You don't need to reinvent the wheel.
If you stick with a flat tappet cam (Solid or Hyd) plan on using oil with zinc or get zinc additive.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

JD

Quote from: greekz on October 17, 2024, 08:18:23 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on October 17, 2024, 08:04:57 PMIf it were mine, I would forget the port and polish and hydraulic camshaft. You can EASILY de value your engine by porting it. NOTHING sounds better than a solid lifter hipo. I don't consider a hydraulic camshaft an upgrade-especially to a hipo. It ain't a hipo unless it sounds like a hipo.

Amen to that.  When I drive up to my weekly gathering of hot rodders, they always remark on the unique sound of my solid lifter engine.  Nothing sounds like a hipo!

+1
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

pbf777

Quote from: OldGuy on October 17, 2024, 08:04:57 PM. You can EASILY de value your engine by porting it.

I suppose if your referring to the possibility of "holing-thru" the casting, I can understand your perspective; otherwise if the porting work is executed properly, even if done conservatively so as to reduce the likelihood of failure, I really feel that this can be of a significant value enhancement for those whom really want to drive and enjoy their car in a spirited manor.  :)

QuoteI don't consider a hydraulic camshaft an upgrade-especially to a hipo. It ain't a hipo unless it sounds like a hipo. 

Now here, I just can't disagree.  After all, having the "Hi-Po" and not having the "clickety-clack" sound from the valve-train just doesn't seem right, something would be missing.  ::)

Scott.