News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 door tag decode

Started by jtdrysdale, February 11, 2021, 04:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtdrysdale

Tag decode ! I just purchased a 68 GT500 from the estate of an old friend. I new him from the mid 70's . It's been sitting for many years. Needs a lot of updating. It's white with saddle. The door tag seems strange. I've had other Shelby's over the years so I know the basic tag decodes .  This one has string of numbers between the DSO and axel.  8D25768 they are run together just like that.  5768 is close to a saddle interior code? 8 could be an axel ?  25 could be a DSO.  Never seen them run together like that. Any help decoding ??

J_Speegle

Very typical

8D25768 is just the order group (8D2576) with the axle code at the end

Like the xample below

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Shelby DSO codes are not like Mustang DSO codes in 1968.  They are essentially batch numbers. They DO NOT indicate shipping locations. "8D2576" would be the 76th batch of Shelbys ordered. ( The codes start at 8D2501 )

The "8" is the axle code. Shelby axle codes are different from Mustang codes. In this case axle "8" is a 3.50:1 conventional rear axle.

The "6F" denotes the saddle interior on the door tag.

I can also tell you its a GT500, without AC and automatic transmission. The Shelby number is likely in the early 800s.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

jtdrysdale

Thanks for the info ! My KR tag doesn't look anything like that with a bunch of run together numbers/letters.  Kind of surprised me. Nice to know it has the original tag !

Coralsnake

If it doesnt look like that, I would love to take a look at it.

It would be very unusual

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com