News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original Coil Bracket Bolt?

Started by s2ms, September 12, 2023, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

This was on 6S1757 (late March 1966 SJ build) when purchased in 1987, any chance it's original?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on September 12, 2023, 06:34:26 PM
This was on 6S1757 (late March 1966 SJ build) when purchased in 1987, any chance it's original?

Thanks,
Dave
It is not the typical correct style.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Thanks Bob. I assume this is the more typical style? I've also seen that one as phosphate.

Any other head markings seen from that period at SJ?
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on September 13, 2023, 12:36:04 PM
Thanks Bob. I assume this is the more typical style? I've also seen that one as phosphate.

Yep . The cursive "F" is another.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: s2ms on September 13, 2023, 12:36:04 PM

Correct style of bolt with the sunken head and the integrated lock washer. Don't recall the head markings shown in the picture as being something I recall used on that bolt.  Guess that the picture you posted is from AMK or similar source I'm guessing. Head markings are sometimes not the same as what a plant used or a particular plant used originally if you looking for all the original details.  Some are not.

Will look to see if I can find a picture but the location is difficult to see since the heater hose and other things are really in the way once the engine is fully assembled and in a car :(
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

Jeff, thanks for looking. Yes, believe the bolt I posted is from AMK, got the photo off of ebay. I actually had one of the cursive "F" bolts Bob mentioned, will have to cut the end off a little but otherwise will work great.
Dave - 6S1757

CharlesTurner

Quote from: s2ms on September 14, 2023, 12:10:14 AM
Jeff, thanks for looking. Yes, believe the bolt I posted is from AMK, got the photo off of ebay. I actually had one of the cursive "F" bolts Bob mentioned, will have to cut the end off a little but otherwise will work great.

Check to make sure it's the right size first.  The cursive f bolt is most commonly used at the distributor hold-down and seen them on the ends of oil pans too.  The coil bracket to block is a larger (thicker) size bolt.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

s2ms

Thanks Charles. Yep, it's a 3/8'-16 bolt, had to hack off ~1/4" but works perfect now.
Dave - 6S1757