News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hipo 289 spark plugs

Started by paul, June 04, 2024, 10:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

Would a Motorcraft BF 32 be a suitable spark plug for a street driven HiPo 289? If not, what's the consensus on currently available spark plugs to use in a HiPo? Thank you, Paul.

jk66gt350

I've been using Autolite 45 plugs for decades with good performance and no issues.   

GT350Lad

Quote from: jk66gt350 on June 04, 2024, 10:47:25 PMI've been using Autolite 45 plugs for decades with good performance and no issues.   

Same here. Did some reading a few years ago.
6S373
6S1276

Brant

As others have said, Autolite 45 plugs will work great for you.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

I agree the BF45 is the go to plug for all but cars participating in concours venues where the BF32 factory heat range plugs are expected. Fortunately it is a relative simple job to change out BF32 plugs for show to BF45 for driving . At least on a small block.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tomhawk

Is there a problem with running bf32 Autolite plugs? Have been using them in my K cars and Shelbys since 1973. Will my engine run better with the 45s?  Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tomhawk on June 13, 2024, 09:50:15 PMIs there a problem with running bf32 Autolite plugs? Have been using them in my K cars and Shelbys since 1973. Will my engine run better with the 45s?  Thanks
will your car run better ? It depends on how you drive. It wasn't a problem with the BF32 plugs which is no surprise since 100 of thousands of cars used them in all around driving for 40 some years before they went obsolete and harder to find. The BF 45 is a run hotter plug that replaced the BF32 and 42 and should work fine all things considered . Back in the 70's when they were every day drivers many of us would substituted the BF 42 which like the 45 was a hotter plug then the 32. That was when if your engine started to burn more oil because of rings ,guides, valve stem caps etc. and in city stop and go driving on higher mileage cares you wanted a hotter plug so it wouldn't foul out as easily . For maximum performance as in spirited driving or open track the colder BF32 is the way to go compared to the 45. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rkm

Dwathencars

My "vote" is for the original BF32s.   We drive CSX2367 about weekly during good weather, sometimes 25 miles for a cars and coffee and sometimes a couple of hundred miles for an event, and these original plugs do well.   I do use high octane "race" fuel that is available at several stations on Woodward Ave.

My own preference is to keep my collector cars as originally delivered, I figure that's part of the fun experience.     Dave
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder