News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

OIL FILL ON A 428 CJ

Started by Steve Meltzer, May 30, 2024, 06:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Actually, it will hurt to run too much oil.

Your motor may experience oil burning, fouled spark plugs, and increased emissions.

Not to mention leak from increased pressure
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

FL SAAC

Fellas everyone is missing the point.

Everyone is talking about 1968 or 1969 or 1970.

Ford was talking about the FE motors and they put out that TSB in 1969 essentially stating :

" Oil pan levels have been revised on subject engines from four quarts to six quarts "

That's a better statement than :

" We may or may not have a oiling problem in the FE motors "

If you drive it like Granny, you are OK.

If you drive it like we all do, you are not OK.

Ford has a better idea ... just add oil !
Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"
I have all UNGOLD cars
I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

Good thing this is not a school test... Or rocket science- :-[

Lincoln tech

Quote from: 427heaven on June 02, 2024, 11:01:13 AMGood thing this is not a school test... Or rocket science- :-[
To some it is  :) Simple oil change becomes a soap opera  :o

Steve Meltzer

For some reason, the website has not notified me of the ongoing and most interesting discussion about what I thought was a straightforward question, regarding the oil change in my KR. The car is a correct and original CJ with A/C and oil cooler. My plan was to put in 5 quarts, drive it, and recheck the dipstick. I always like to drive my car "granny style" until I know she's fully warmed up, and then some modest, spirited of driving, but only for short runs, followed by cruising. In Houston Texas there's not much place to really drive, so it's not uncommon to have a bit of stop and go traffic. Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated Steve..

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on June 03, 2024, 10:24:50 AMFor some reason, the website has not notified me of the ongoing and most interesting discussion about what I thought was a straightforward question, regarding the oil change in my KR. The car is a correct and original CJ with A/C and oil cooler. My plan was to put in 5 quarts, drive it, and recheck the dipstick. I always like to drive my car "granny style" until I know she's fully warmed up, and then some modest, spirited of driving, but only for short runs, followed by cruising. In Houston Texas there's not much place to really drive, so it's not uncommon to have a bit of stop and go traffic. Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated Steve..
Look, your dimensions are not different than mine as we both have 428 CJ engines(SCJ but the same oil wise to a dip stick). I'd use the excellent reference on the 428 CJ forum on having the revised dipstick or remarking your current one.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on June 03, 2024, 01:04:43 PMLook, your dimensions are not different than mine as we both have 428 CJ engines(SCJ but the same oil wise to a dip stick). I'd use the excellent reference on the 428 CJ forum on having the revised dipstick or remarking your current one.

Huzzah a BIG PLUS ONE !
Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"
I have all UNGOLD cars
I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Royce Peterson

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on June 03, 2024, 01:04:43 PM
Quote from: Steve Meltzer on June 03, 2024, 10:24:50 AMFor some reason, the website has not notified me of the ongoing and most interesting discussion about what I thought was a straightforward question, regarding the oil change in my KR. The car is a correct and original CJ with A/C and oil cooler. My plan was to put in 5 quarts, drive it, and recheck the dipstick. I always like to drive my car "granny style" until I know she's fully warmed up, and then some modest, spirited of driving, but only for short runs, followed by cruising. In Houston Texas there's not much place to really drive, so it's not uncommon to have a bit of stop and go traffic. Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated Steve..
Look, your dimensions are not different than mine as we both have 428 CJ engines(SCJ but the same oil wise to a dip stick). I'd use the excellent reference on the 428 CJ forum on having the revised dipstick or remarking your current one.

Unless I am missing something you have a 1970 Shelby and Steve has a 1968 Shelby. Steve's engine does not have a windage tray. Yours does. Therefore the information at the 428CJ website will apply to your car. Steve has a 1968 Shelby so the service bulletin does not apply.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Special Ed

And dipatick has different line markings and easy way to tell is 67-68 has FOMOCO stamped. 69-70 windage tray cars have FORD stamped.