News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ultrasonic cleaners

Started by Steve Meltzer, June 20, 2024, 06:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

Thinking about cleaning some carburetor parts and other small parts and would like to know if anyone has had experience with an ultrasonic cleaner. If so, what brand did you buy? What cleaning solution do you use in it, and how much time and temperature for carburetor parts? Thanks Steve.

Chris Thauberger

Hi Steve

I have one of these I use to clean my pistols. Never used it to clean car part but good bang for the buck, no pun intended ;)

Bought it at Bass Pro

Being the "All time post count king" on a forum is kinda like being rich in Monopoly

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

rockhouse66

I have the 15L size Chinese one you find on eBay.  Works great, but be sure to buy one from a seller that accepts returns.  My first one was DOA and it turned into a disagreement between eBay and the seller.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: rockhouse66 on June 21, 2024, 07:05:17 AMI have the 15L size Chinese one you find on eBay.  Works great, but be sure to buy one from a seller that accepts returns.  My first one was DOA and it turned into a disagreement between eBay and the seller.
My question is have you used them on cast aluminum like the CJ PS brackets, smog pump  housings, alt housings  or distributors? If so some "you tube" demos  talk about an ultrasonic media cleaner? I'm wondering about also using evaporust in a container submerged in the water solution to clean rusted parts?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

OldGuy

[/quote]My question is have you used them on cast aluminum like the CJ PS brackets, smog pump  housings, alt housings  or distributors? If so some "you tube" demos  talk about an ultrasonic media cleaner? I'm wondering about also using evaporust in a container submerged in the water solution to clean rusted parts?
[/quote]

I use my ultrasonic cleaner all the time for parts cleaning. I haven't tried it with Evaporust however. In theory I would think that the agitation/heat created by the ultrasonic cleaner would accelerate the de-rusting process however in actual use I wouldn't operate the ultrasonic cleaner for the hours/days that Evaporust usually takes to do its job. Ultrasonic cleaners generate a lot of heat that can be damaging to the crystal if left for extended periods of time.

shelbymann1970

My question is have you used them on cast aluminum like the CJ PS brackets, smog pump  housings, alt housings  or distributors? If so some "you tube" demos  talk about an ultrasonic media cleaner? I'm wondering about also using evaporust in a container submerged in the water solution to clean rusted parts?
[/quote]

I use my ultrasonic cleaner all the time for parts cleaning. I haven't tried it with Evaporust however. In theory I would think that the agitation/heat created by the ultrasonic cleaner would accelerate the de-rusting process however in actual use I wouldn't operate the ultrasonic cleaner for the hours/days that Evaporust usually takes to do its job. Ultrasonic cleaners generate a lot of heat that can be damaging to the crystal if left for extended periods of time.
[/quote]how does cast aluminum parts come out? I have some aluminum parts like very rare distributors I really don't want to ship anywhere for fear of damage or lost.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

rockhouse66

I have done carburetors in mine but I used just water - no solvent.  I clean bearings and plastic parts and use LA Awesome from Dollar General - works great.  I think the heat is probably as much of the formula for success as the solvent.  However - I used the LA Awesome on some aluminum once and it darkened the finish.  I was told by someone who should know that I just had too strong a solution and that it works fine if very diluted.  I haven't experimented since.
There are specific cleaners available - such as the one below - that say they are for aluminum.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-CLEAN2030-Corrosion-Inhibitor-Ultrasonic/dp/B012GQOJIE/ref=pd_ci_mcx_pspc_dp_d_2_t_1?pd_rd_w=LwyT5&content-id=amzn1.sym.568f3b6b-5aad-4bfd-98ee-d827f03151e4&pf_rd_p=568f3b6b-5aad-4bfd-98ee-d827f03151e4&pf_rd_r=XHD6CP5637TPDY5CQDDB&pd_rd_wg=rdgdz&pd_rd_r=ff1f3475-22b3-49b9-a151-7270f8268195&pd_rd_i=B012GQOJIE