News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Ten spokes - Identify Original vs. Reproduction

Started by silverton_ford, August 09, 2019, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

For those that are not aware one of the ways the MFG gained clearance so that the big one piston calipers would fit was by machining off material from the rough back side of the rim . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

Just to make sure this is the 1967 Shelby GT350/500 group here.

It would be good if we separate a bit even if its hard as we are talking about wheels that were made in different versions.

The main point is to find out what would be right for a 1967 Shelby as there are some wrong informations around (in my opinion)

I think we are on a good way here.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

Version 1 from the Coralsnake chart but it depends on how you interpret the word "correct"?

If the data on the specific vehicle you are talking about shows it was built or ordered with 10 spokes then to me that means they are "Concourse correct" for that car.

If you are asking what is "period correct" then still, type 1 answers the question.

Functionally, they will all work on a "stock" '67 with no modifications. The added cast in spacer will cause no harm. It is only a 3/16" spacer. But if you are asking if it would have come with the "68" modification of the cast in spacer, I think that is unlikely?

Frankly, if you really want the earlier type and only have the later type, there is nothing to stop you from putting them on a lathe and machining the spacer off. There would be no way really to identify them as modified if you machined them nicely. There are no date codes cast into the wheels that I am aware of.

As far as machining the inside for clearance of the '68 brake caliper on an original wheel, I'm not convinced that you can safely do that? It may wind up being too thin in critical areas so it would be best to leave that alone and get one of Branda's current (if he has any left) wheels that are already machined.

It should be noted on a '68, that the brake caliper still may need to be ground even with the "68 service wheel" or the current Branda wheel. The casting flash on those calipers does vary a little from caliper to caliper. TO ME, the caliper is the "fuseable link" and I would "polish" those rather then start to screw with the wheels or calipers.

Some just get their panties all in a bunch over these kind of details. Not as that is bad though.
I like the purple satin ones. They fit so cozy and you can wear them for days without changing them!

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

100% agree (except the underwear part)

The information is there on the page

1967 ten spokes are

Rough cast on backsides
Have tapered spokes
Chamfered lug nut holes
Valve stem on rim
May or may not have cast part number
Are 15 x 7

That is it.

I will add a couple more notes to the page.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

I found this image on the website, this is the rough casting on the back side Mr Gaines refers to

Because of the raised pad, I believe these are probably post 1967 wheels ( I refer to them as 1969 versions)

Coralsnake

I just saw some wheels with DOT-T markings on the back. Certainly those are post 1970 wheels, but does anyone have  any more information when that business started??

Still looking for older Branda catalog information on ten spokes. If you have a 1980s catalog please contribute

shelbydoug

I have not but would expect that to be post Ford involvement?

If you want to get down into the weeds, what is with the 57MS? That's the first one that I've noticed like that? A type 1 a or b? Yikes!

Don't forget "clear coated" v. non!

On this subject, when I was the 68 Registrar I only saw 5 invoices with 10 spokes. They were all shipped overseas. I think 3 to Spain and 2 to Japan.

Bob mentioned 10. Considering that there were something like 1,900 invoices missing, I suppose those could have shown up or show in Marti's computer records. but that isn't the point?

I would be curious to know exactly what was done to fit the wheels to those cars and who did it?

Do you have that info? I will trade you?  I'll tell you where to get the best silk panties?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

I do not know how the wheels were modified for the few cars that had them.

I would guess the wheels were fitted by Smith or the exporting dealer, I dont think Kevin has that info

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 24, 2024, 10:30:14 AMI do not know how the wheels were modified for the few cars that had them.

I would guess the wheels were fitted by Smith or the exporting dealer, I dont think Kevin has that info

I'm thinking that maybe the car was shipped with the wheels unmounted in the trunk? There were a couple of Paxton cars like that but never invoiced with them from Shelby. Just the dealer added them.

I never heard of anyone associated with Smith that even mentioned this subject. I'm thinking that they likely would have the same issues of modifying the brakes as Ford did?

Those export cars DO show the wheels on the carbons of the original Shelby invoices. I wondering how Ford would have even allowed that unless it voids the warranty on the car?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 24, 2024, 10:17:40 AMI have not but would expect that to be post Ford involvement?

If you want to get down into the weeds, what is with the 57MS? That's the first one that I've noticed like that? A type 1 a or b? Yikes!

On this subject, when I was the 68 Registrar I only saw 5 invoices with 10 spokes. They were all shipped overseas. I think 3 to Spain and 2 to Japan.

Bob mentioned 10. Considering that there were something like 1,900 invoices missing, I suppose those could have shown up or show in Marti's computer records. but that isn't the point?

I would be curious to know exactly what was done to fit the wheels to those cars and who did it?

Do you have that info? I will trade you?  I'll tell you where to get the best silk panties?
Doug I wrote less then 10. ;)  No inside information here but have heard the 3 and the 5 number before. That less then 10 was meant to give a lot of wiggle room to cover what the actual number was. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 24, 2024, 12:30:52 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on August 24, 2024, 10:17:40 AMI have not but would expect that to be post Ford involvement?

Doug I wrote less then 10. ;)  No inside information here but have heard the 3 and the 5 number before. That less then 10 was meant to give a lot of wiggle room to cover what the actual number was. 

My comment is not intended as a criticism but I suspect as you do that there are more then the five invoiced that I saw? At this point probably Vincent would know. He has sources that I never had.

I don't know how Marti's system works. It seems unlikely to me that he would actually print out everything in the records but he must have a method to search?

I tend to agree that it really doesn't matter what the exact number is, just like you said, there are not many and the suggestion is that they were not for North American sales but I suspect that Mexican exports MIGHT have been treated differently, if even any were invoiced there at all?

At this point, as far as I know, there are no details available on the "export wheel installation".

It's over 20 years since I saw any documentation but both Pete and Vinny are very good at pulling a rabbit out of the hat.
I've tried that before but I get the same results as Bullwinkle does and then I get yelled at as being grumpy! I'm not grumpy...right?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!