News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

R model dashboard

Started by deathsled, July 29, 2024, 02:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

For purposes of possibly making a replica R out of my dad's car, what sits over the hole in the dash once the padding is removed. I know that the metal supports for the dash pad need to be removed and ground down but it looks to me on two of the Rs I saw online that there is some metal grate to cover over where the heater and speakers would have been. What and where can this grating be acquired?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

tesgt350

It is the same factory Speaker Grill.......

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 29, 2024, 03:05:17 PMIt is the same factory Speaker Grill.......
+1 . Factory speaker grill.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Got it. Thank you gentlemen. Might as well start it today. Going to remove the dash pad on the 65. I did a parts calculation of the R model stuff not including a 34 gallon gas tank or the R model seat and came up with a very conservative figure of $8,500.00 for the R model parts between Brand a and Cobra Automotive. Cobra seems to have the more exotic stuff like the extruded aluminum window frames. It's cool stuff.

deathsled

Removed the dash pad. Curiously all the metal work beneath the cowl is gone. That is one way to handle a rust issue I suppose. That however makes me much less reticent of turning the car R model wise. 

tesgt350

For those curious, That metal Eyebrow piece that Spot welds on the Dash that helps the Dash Pad keep its shape, on 1964.5 Mustangs, it's fastened on with Screws. 

deathsled

I get the big "duh." The cowl is still there. I thought it was much deeper than it actually is. The eyebrows will need to be ground off. Looks like three spot welds on each side. Three on driver's and three on passenger's.
Wrong!

It's 15 spot welds total after scrutinizing under better light.