News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 gt500 battery

Started by Jeb67, July 24, 2024, 04:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb67

Good afternoon all I have viewed this forum lots but first of many to come ?s.i have a 67 gt500 #210 that I'm restoring and I'm wanting the correct concours battery for my car. I have the marti report and it does not list heavy duty battery so my question is what's the correct battery and can I even get? From what I know it needs to be an autolite sta-ful 24f, but with yellow top not red top.
Help if you can.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jeb67 on July 24, 2024, 04:44:42 PMGood afternoon all I have viewed this forum lots but first of many to come ?s.i have a 67 gt500 #210 that I'm restoring and I'm wanting the correct concours battery for my car. I have the marti report and it does not list heavy duty battery so my question is what's the correct battery and can I even get? From what I know it needs to be an autolite sta-ful 24f, but with yellow top not red top.
Help if you can.
Your car would have the lower capacity 24F identified with yellow caps. A dead assembyline red cap battery recently sold on Ebay for over 3,000.00 . Currently there is not anything like a assemblyline battery for 67 reproduced. The closest you can get is a reproduction Autolite battery from vendors which is copied after the 68 style. It looks like what a 67 Shelby owner would replace their battery with when the assemblyline battery went bad. If you decide to go with 68 style Autolite battery don't put the yellow caps on it because that style never came with yellow caps in a 67 or 68 context.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jeb67

shlb69

actually would apppear the battery didnt sell. Thats what they were asking  and no bids

outlawincorporated

Quote from: shlb69 on July 24, 2024, 08:59:24 PMactually would apppear the battery didnt sell. Thats what they were asking  and no bids

Trust me the battery sold.

regards
PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shlb69 on July 24, 2024, 08:59:24 PMactually would apppear the battery didnt sell. Thats what they were asking  and no bids
That was the first time on  Ebay .You missed the second time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

marvella

When you purchase the battery, ensure it comes with the correct period-correct labels and finishes. This attention to detail is crucial for concours judging and maintaining the historical integrity of your GT500 Precision Bearing.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: marvella on July 30, 2024, 04:54:01 AMWhen you purchase the battery, ensure it comes with the correct period-correct labels and finishes. This attention to detail is crucial for concours judging and maintaining the historical integrity of your GT500.
The 65-67 style does not have any added labels . The warning message letters are cast into the case mold.

Bob Gaines

The 68 style reproduction battery that is currently being sold is a very nice looking reproduction. The label that is on when you purchase is one that would be on a 68 up assemblyline battery .If the assemblyline battery died for whatever reason after the car left the assemblyline plant then a battery looking like the currently available group 24 68 style repro battery would be used for the replacement at the dealership. If used on a 67 using the premise/argument that it was a logical period service replacement,the 68 assemblyline sticker label would not be correct. The sticker label used on the service replacement battery would have instead of the assemblyline type sticker one with date punch outs to indicate when the battery was put into service for warranty purposes.

Bob Gaines

For those reading the white with red letters terminal post label seen frequently now was not used on 1960's era batteries. It was something that the very first Autolite repro battery company New Castle Battery attached to the batteries they sold for civil liability reasons . They were used for so long that their original non Ford origin was lost in time. They have been reproduced thinking that they were used on original Ford made batteries in the 60's. It would be points deducted in a concours venue if seen by a informed judge.They have gotten so prolific that in the past I have made a effort of trying to give owners a heads up before judging starts however I have stopped doing that because that in this crazy world it might be perceived as giving a unfair advantage to a entrant.