News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

8T02R213244-03969

Started by 5s386, July 30, 2024, 11:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Very strange

If the owner is not answering questions about the original tags, would you feel comfortable buying the car?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

thinkshelby

Yo to all.

I've been learning about 68 Shelbys and following auctions and want to thank you for your comments here and on BaT.  I'm attempting to figure out how I could possibly determine the value of any particular '68.   (Suggestions are welcomed. :-)

One would think that ICB33's latest comment on BaT would get the seller to jump to answer the questions.

Peace.

Coralsnake

There are a lot of factors that go into determining value.

Personally, most people bidding on BaT are oblivious to them.

Its not a good place to determine the overall value of the market in my opinion.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Price.html

I apologize prices have not been updated lately

thinkshelby

Thank you.

"Collector car auctions tend to skew prices upward. I have found that collector car auction prices are usually 30-40% higher than full retail values."  (Argh)

Coralsnake

Generally true in my opinion.

Buying directly from an owner is a better idea. Dealers and auctions get the same cars, then mark them up.

Anyone not accounting for the original Shelby tags in this auction, deserves exactly what they get. That should be job one.

FL SAAC

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

ICB33

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 06, 2024, 05:18:20 PMGenerally true in my opinion.

Buying directly from an owner is a better idea. Dealers and auctions get the same cars, then mark them up.

Anyone not accounting for the original Shelby tags in this auction, deserves exactly what they get. That should be job one.

I just wish I could find a 68' GT500KR or even a 68' GT500 that wasn't on an auction site. If anybody has some good leads, I would be happy to give my hard earned money to that seller.

Bill Collins

I am offering this KR on behalf of a long time friend and associate. You would be purchasing it from him. See this link for the original Forum ad; some updated photos are attached.

https://www.saac.com/forum/index.php?topic=24004.0
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

tesgt350

Quote from: ICB33 on August 09, 2024, 10:02:03 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on August 06, 2024, 05:18:20 PMGenerally true in my opinion.

I just wish I could find a 68' GT500KR or even a 68' GT500 that wasn't on an auction site. If anybody has some good leads, I would be happy to give my hard earned money to that seller.

Cape Cod Mustang has this one for $115,000
http://capecodmustang.com/photo.php?directory=cars/2023_inventory/1968_red_gt500_vert/

shelbymann1970

Quote from: thinkshelby on August 06, 2024, 04:07:48 PMThank you.

"Collector car auctions tend to skew prices upward. I have found that collector car auction prices are usually 30-40% higher than full retail values."  (Argh)

Depends on the auction. There was a 68 GT500 air 4 speed (black one on BaT just went for 319Kplus 7500)that I saw at Mecum Indy and talked to the owner. He bought it at a GAA auction last fall for I think 89K. Sold for 181,500 including BP. Same car. Little done to it. Market didn't do a wild swing. That is why I really never want to predict or say what a car is worth. Here we are talking about the SAME car sold twice-not 2 "like" cars. Before it hit the block I was talking to the owner and asked if it was the GAA car. I then told him by the looks of it it went real cheap. That is why he bought it to take it here(Mecum). Some auctions do skew higher then some to me skew lower. Big auctions compared to lesser auctions. Here is the car and when it was going to Mecum I get a newsletter that showed the history and that is why I had to see the car and talk to the owner if possible.https://www.mecum.com/lots/1113753/1968-shelby-gt500-fastback/?aa_id=568248-0
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

ICB33

It really does help to be in the right place at the right time!! Chance favors the prepared, so everybody's insights can only help.

wcampbell

Looking to part with my newly restored KR convertible. I prefer private sales and yes it's born Acapulco Blue with Factory A/C. Car is almost complete in assembly. Once it's finished I'll likely put more information out on this forum under for sale.