News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Interesting T10M-1 Main Case

Started by s2ms, August 09, 2024, 01:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

Obviously not an assemblyline 65-early 66 GT350 main case, unique casting and machining features, no stamped assembly date, atypical GT350 gear ratios stamped on top front rail. Anyone know what this is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186618807220

Dave - 6S1757

CharlesTurner

Maybe one of the reproductions that Shelby Parts & Restoration did in the past?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

cboss70

I was told at Ford Carlisle that one of the well-known Shelby shops had a bunch made THIS year as well, but they wouldn't say who. I guess it's cheaper to make a bunch if you know who to go to and age them versus paying the asking prices you see for originals these days. The one in the auction also looks like a repro with all those very new looking machined surfaces so it could be one of the old repro's from Shelby Parts we've heard about in the past- who knows for sure. 

SFM6S

As far as i know, all of the cases and the tail-housings were numbered after machining and final cleanup prior to being used or sold. Jesse at Shelby parts would know.

Joe

s2ms

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think this is one of the Shelby Parts & Restoration cases, from what I've seen those are true to the originals as far as shape. This is very different, like it was made for a very specific application, maybe to address interference issues. Here's just one photo showing what I mean...

Dave - 6S1757

CSX4781

Dave,
   The gear ratios stamped in the top flange of the case are one of the sets of Super T-10 gear sets currently available (I'm not home so I don't have all my notes and books to refer to). The biggest problem with these is that the bore for the countershaft (for the cluster gear) is larger for the Super T-10 as they have a larger diameter countershaft, so in order to use this with the early Ford internals, you'd have to bush down the bore for the countershaft. I actually bought one of these cases new from Richmond Gear a couple of years ago (they seem to be unavailable currently) for about $500 with the intent of doing something similar, or else building a Super T-10 for a Ford, but life got in the way so..... Lee Holman had told me there were new aluminum cased transmissions being made for the FIA vintage race guys in Europe a number of years ago, probably where these originated.

Dave

camp upshur

This is a new ersatz transmission being produced by a USA/UK team intended for the present European vintage rules requiring a side loading T-10.
The trans utilizes a GM style 26 spline main drive, a Richmond serviced 2:43 first which originated in first gen 'super t-10s' (still available), a custom main shaft to accommodate the internals and terminates in a 28 spline output.
I tried VERY hard get a short run of original main drives and a 2.36 FG run, but shelf parts ruled the project.
The target for this project was the aforementioned rules, not concours replication for restoration for our cars as is clearly seen. It is not a reproduction of a 1965 T-10M1.

s2ms

Dave - 6S1757