News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'69 Convertible Emblem

Started by Survivor, September 10, 2024, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 13, 2024, 11:30:50 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on September 12, 2024, 06:01:49 PM

Original assembly line drawing of emblems

I have several very early "survivors" in my files, that have the emblems installed. While I cant vouch for these, this is how I form my opinion they should be there
The assembly line drawings don't appear to be absolute gospel given the vintage pictures that Gary posted that are not like the drawings. I would suggest that instead it could suggest that they are what was meant by the factory however a dealer could install in what ever combination they wanted if not there when delivered. It is less likely that factory installed emblems as in the drawings would be taken off and re installed by a dealer in a pattern like in the vintage pictures. I for one only very rarely saw that drawing pattern on a fastback. I think it looks too busy with all three emblems but that is just me. In my area it was typically just the snake on the roof area or with the emblem underneath the snake on the fastback. Just what was typical in my area back when the cars were new. The convertible I saw ether the snake on the rear quarter or with the snake and lower plaque emblem. Regardless a variety of patterns are acceptable from a historical stand point IMO. 
is it possible the locations are for the vert and FB and the drawing just sucks not calling that out?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

FL SAAC

Yup emblem A is for a hardtop

Emblem B is for a topless car

Those Ford people are stingy. Gota save them pennys, let's use one drawing
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

It does appear they have the same part number but I dont think that is correct
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 13, 2024, 04:53:06 PMIt does appear they have the same part number but I don't think that is correct
On closer inspection the document seems to read that the single snake is meant for the roof area on the fastback and the the snake and separate plaque ar meant for the convertible body style. That is still contrary to vintage pictures of emblem locations on both body styles.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Another example of where engineers and people in the big office had one idea and plan then things changed, were altered or workers decided differently and got away with it. That IMO is the challenge of these sort of documentation. They show a point in time when someone drew, planned or put into play a detail when it could have been changed or rethought the following day. If so we just don't have that replacement drawing or the one after that one. Not to say this sort of documentation is worthless but I find documents such as TBS to be easier to trust since they report of what did take place (change or problem)  at a plant or with a particular process or part. Unfortunately in neither place do we have all of the details we would wish for.   

BTW has anyone looked this detail up in the 69 Add/Delete sheets yet?  Just a thought
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Survivor

Is the illustration a Ford document and do we know whether the emblems were meant to be glued on or pinned.

Coralsnake

It is a Ford document

Emblems were adhesive

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 14, 2024, 01:28:45 PMIt is a Ford document

Emblems were adhesive

For those reading a automotive double sided tape.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 13, 2024, 05:42:44 PMBTW has anyone looked this detail up in the 69 Add/Delete sheets yet?  Just a thought

Just to report back to confirm that apparently Ford didn't add the Shelby emblems. Just in case someone had that question  :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TA Coupe

Gary AKA shelbymann1970 and I were discussing the emblems 2 months ago when he brought up the fact some (maybe all) were curved which I had never noticed so here's a couple of pictures of emblems that are being discussed and a couple showing me holding the snake at either end to show the curvature.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

TA Coupe

Shelby and Cobra emblems front and back

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Bob Gaines

Just to report that the metal of the emblem is such that if a slight curvature of a particular emblem needs adjustment it can be typically be carefully bent to conform. It doesn't take much pressure to accomplish if at all. The metal given its composition and thickness is flexible enough that the emblem will typically flex to conform to the upper roof area contour when pressed in place regardless of if straight or slightly curved.