News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1969 Shelby non-vented gas cap replacement

Started by TS69GT500, October 08, 2023, 05:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TS69GT500

Anyone know of a currently available non-vented fuel cap for the 1969's.
Don't need concours just a cap that is reliably non-vented.

Thanks,
TonyS

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TS69GT500 on October 08, 2023, 05:08:51 PM
Anyone know of a currently available non-vented fuel cap for the 1969's.
Don't need concours just a cap that is reliably non-vented.

Thanks,
TonyS
Sorry I can not help with a modern aftermarket alternative but I hope someone else has researched this and can. In the mean time FYI although the non vented cap absolutely eliminates the fumes from coming out , as long as you have the auxiliary vent added to the filler neck (vent recall)and it is not restricted or plugged at the end you will be fine. The fumes take the path of least resistance and the added vent is typically less then going through the cap. Also the minimal amount of fumes that may come out of a vented cap used in conjunction with the vent recall (if any ) will not be enough to be a issue.The TSB instructed the technician as a alternative a non vented cap to modify the vent on the existing vented cap so that it does not vent . Consequently in concours I can not in good conscience deduct for a non vented cap on a 69/70 GT500 because I can't tell if it was modified or not without inspection(which we don't do). I think it is reasonable to give the benefit of the doubt that the recall and and all recall modifications could hypothetically have been done on a given car before delivery to the first customer . I strongly suggest that all 69/70 GT500's that are driven cars have the recall performed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TS69GT500

Thanks Bob,
For years the "BIG" Shelby parts suppliers listed a Motorcraft gas cap that supposed to fit the 69/70s'
It wasn't close to fitting.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TS69GT500 on December 14, 2023, 10:10:43 AM
Thanks Bob,
For years the "BIG" Shelby parts suppliers listed a Motorcraft gas cap that supposed to fit the 69/70s'
It wasn't close to fitting.
That is because the cap is meant for the special California emission equipped GT 500 which had the smaller neck fill tube. But of course I have never seen in vintage or modern descriptions that the cap will only fit the fill neck of the special emission CA car.  Those Emission equipped 69/70 GT500's are a small fraction of total production.  The "BIG" Shelby parts suppliers apparently didn't try to use the products they sold otherwise they would know that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350shelb

wonder if the screw on cap that came with  the 90s ford pop open caps  would work . they were designed to fit the filler necks
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 14, 2023, 03:07:30 PM
wonder if the screw on cap that came with  the 90s ford pop open caps  would work . they were designed to fit the filler necks
Quote from: gt350shelb on December 14, 2023, 03:15:03 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185899226898
Appreciation for a positive contribution effort but that style cap in the link is a VENTED cap. Most caps are. That later replacement cap for pop open caps is also drastically different looking from the original cap. The context of this thread is about a assemblyline or period Ford service cap that looks close to original.   

gt350shelb

no problem but the original post was for something that would work not  div 1

J_Speegle

For something that works,  you could take a vented on and make it non-vented
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350shelb

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 14, 2023, 09:04:18 PM
no problem but the original post was for something that would work not  div 1
Please don't shoot the messenger as I am just trying to help but Yes and I covered the needed alternative in reply #1 . I described what was done to make the original cap non vented. I also covered that adding the recall which has to be done anyway when using a non vented cap would eliminate the need for a non vented cap at all . This last alternative was also done by dealers . The cap you suggested using was a vented cap . Not vented replacement alternatives was the request of the OP.