News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

CSX2000 clone introduced by Shelby-American, run of ten

Started by HistoryBuff, August 14, 2024, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryBuff

I was invited to the preview party at the Petersen August 10th. I didn't look at it closely thinking it was the original CSX2000, it was that good a copy. Here's the press release I got the day after. I had made a painting of the Super Snake and brought it, thinking the new car was going to be a copy of that but that's in the near future. Any comment on the CSX numbering--though it celebrates the original CSX2000, its going to have a different number for registration ( from CSX2900 to 2009)...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW LIMITED EDITION ALUMINUM CSX2000 SERIES SHELBY COBRA ROADSTERS TO HONOR CARROLL SHELBY
Inbox

factory press release:
Mon, Aug 12, 7:15 AM (2 days ago)

NEW LIMITED EDITION ALUMINUM CSX2000 SERIES SHELBY COBRA ROADSTERS TO HONOR CARROLL SHELBY

JUPITER, FLORIDA – August 12, 2024 – Executives with Shelby Legendary Cars have introduced the limited edition Shelby Cobra CSX2000 Tribute Series Roadsters, the ultimate salute to the great Carroll Shelby. The new series was unveiled during a private event at the Petersen Museum in Southern California, on Saturday, August 10. Each of the 10 handcrafted cars will be built to exacting specifications in honor of the international motorsports star.

"Carroll Shelby was one of the most influential people in the history of the automobile," said Lance Stander, CEO of Shelby Legendary Cars. "Through his cars, racing team and driving career, Carroll became a catalyst for waves of innovation and his impact can still be felt by enthusiasts worldwide. We wanted to celebrate this charismatic and magnetic personality who truly changed the landscape with a car worthy of him."

The Carroll Shelby story is the stuff of legend. The WWII aviator tried his hand at various business ventures before turning to automobile racing. Win after win, Shelby turned a gentleman's hobby into a full-blown career. Circumnavigating the globe and behind the wheel of cars by Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati and other celebrated marques, he earned a reputation as a fierce competitor at famed races worldwide.

Carroll Shelby established Shelby American in 1962 after retiring as a Le Mans-winning driver. His first car was the Ford small block powered Shelby Cobra roadster (CSX2000); his racing versions were dominant. It was followed by the aerodynamic Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, which won its class at Le Mans in 1964 and then the FIA sports car world championship the next year. Shelby American also introduced an all-new big block Shelby Cobra and high-performance version of the Ford Mustang (Shelby GT350) in 1965. Over the past 60+ years, Shelby American offered many leading sports cars, trucks, hot hatches and muscle cars.

But CSX2000 was always the cornerstone on which Shelby built his success. After small block Shelby Cobra production ended in 1967, the car participated in a long list of events. From the Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach Concours in 2012, as well as the New York Auto Show the same year, to being named the most significant car of the past 50 years by Motor Trend in 1999, the roster of accolades and honors is extraordinary.

The Shelby Cobra CSX2000 Tribute Series of roadsters are the ultimate salute to Carroll Shelby. Original factory blueprints were used for the aluminum bodies, which follow every line of the first Shelby Cobra. The cockpit, interior, one-off bodywork and authentic leaf spring suspension with a correct Salisbury rear end and inboard brakes, are identical to those on the prototype Shelby Cobra.

"My grandfather, Carroll Shelby, revered the first Shelby Cobra (CSX2000), and what that car represented," said Aaron Shelby, Board Member of Carroll Shelby International. "I'm honored that Carroll's legacy will live on through this limited run of cars. Other than the patina on the original 1962 car, it's virtually impossible to discern any differences between it and the Tribute Shelby Cobra roadster. It feels like I stepped into Dean Moon's So Cal shop to watch Carroll and his band of hot rodders create an international performance icon."

Shelby Legendary Cars is dedicated to continuing the legacy of Carroll Shelby and the cars that he created. The company has a complete line of 1960's Shelby Cobra roadster and Daytona Coupe cars in both big and small block configuration available.

"Shelby Legendary Cars has been a terrific ambassador for Shelby," said M. N. Cummings, Esq., Co-CEO of Carroll Shelby International and CEO of Carroll Shelby Licensing. "Their cars are always well built and true to the Shelby heritage, which is why these 10 cars earned a coveted CSX2000 series serial number. The attention to detail is amazing and we 're very excited about this new Tribute series of Shelby Cobras."

The only car of its type to be approved for production, each handcrafted roadster will have a Shelby serial number (CSX2900-2909) and MSO from Shelby American. The roadsters will come as completed rollers configured for a small block Ford V8 with a Borg Warner T10 transmission to be installed by the customer or shop of their choice. Owners of the limited edition "sport car" – as Carroll Shelby called it – can choose their color and whether to install the optional rollbar that was added by Shelby American after the car's debut.

"This car project began in 2023 as a salute to the 100th anniversary of Carroll Shelby's birth," said Shayna Stander of Shelby Legendary Cars. "While intended to introduce the roadster late last year as part of the worldwide Carroll Shelby Centennial Celebration, it was too important to rush the hand built aluminum car. We wanted the details to be perfect, which required even more time. The result was certainly worth the wait for a tribute true to the man himself."

Those interested in purchasing one of the 10 Shelby Cobra CSX2000 Tribute Series Roadsters can inquire through www.Shelbylegendarycars.com or by calling (800) 297-6253.

About Shelby Legendary Cars

Shelby Legendary Cars continues the heritage of Shelby American's world famous 1960's Cobra, Coupe and GT40. The company is keeping the Shelby flame alive with licensed vehicles that have a documented Shelby serial number, just as though production never ended. The current vehicle lineup includes the nimble small block Shelby Cobra roadster in both street and racing (FIA) configurations, the mighty big block Cobra roadster, the world champion Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe and the Le Man-winning Ford GT40. Each one honors the 1960s era cars with authentic chassis, bodies and powertrain options. Additional information is available at www.shelby.com or www.Shelbylegendarycars.com or by calling (888) 743- 5298.

###

Media Information: Scott Black | TPRM | (214) 520-3430 | sblack@tprm.com

tesgt350

I wonder why they are calling them Tributes instead of Continuation's?  Are they getting CSX Numbers or actual CSX VIN's?

rkm

Don Johnston

If it is a tribute, shouldn't the drivers seat be a mess like the original?

6s2055

If you can afford $650,000 you are a person of financial means. So why by a continuation/ kit when with little time and effort find a real csx2000 car for perhaps 750-850?

98SVT - was 06GT

Just another SA licensed Kirkham with a VERY expensive CSX tag on the footwell. Shouldn't it really have a 260 along with worm and sector steering?

The only car of its type to be approved for production, each handcrafted roadster will have a Shelby serial  number (CSX2000-2009) and MSO from Shelby American. The roadsters will come as completed rollers  configured for a small block Ford V8 with a Borg Warner T10 transmission to be installed by the customer or  shop of their choice. Owners of the limited edition "sport car" – as Carroll Shelby called it – can choose their  color and whether to install the optional rollbar that was added by Shelby American after the car's debut.

The Legendary Cars starting point - https://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/products289street.shtml
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

Another future feature for the televised auction circuit with maybe a charity tossed in for their benefit. Just like paint jobs, they are only original once. 8)

shelbydoug

I keep looking for the published price. It is pretty well hidden. I think it should be at the top of the intro?

Is SA embarrassed, looking for offers, leaving an opportunity to jack up the price or all of the above?

I suppose in the world of auctioning off ONE of Harrison Ford's "Indiana Jones" one of at least 20 movie hats for $6million, there is lots of room for eccentric speculators to go around?

Other then CSX2000 being the first one, it isn't even close to being the most desirable Cobra.

It is interesting to see that the art of Snake Oil sales hasn't disappeared.

You can't wear that "Indiana Jones" hat driving this car. It will just blow off.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Great info and thanks for sharing

Only situation I see it's very high priced,  I cant reach that high.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert