News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct temp sending unit

Started by Tomdeg, July 15, 2024, 02:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomdeg

Hey all,
Trying to replace the sending unit for my temp gauge. I read the SW 2328 motor craft unit (with the green top)was correct, however, the threaded lug that the wire connects to is smaller than the connector. What it the correct sender?

Thanks,
Tom

Royce Peterson

The guys working on the assembly line complained that the coil wire and the temp sender wire were being swapped causing failure to start. The solution that the Ford engineering team offered was to make the temp sender have a smaller post than the coil. Your wiring harness just needs the connector squeezed down to fit the sender.

Sending units made in the past 35 years have the incorrect thermister installed. Normally they read overheating when the engine is cool. Be sure you know what you are doing.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

roddster

So, you are saying is buy one older than 36 years, correct?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on July 19, 2024, 08:54:49 PMSo, you are saying is buy one older than 36 years, correct?
I always use new or used Autolite marked opposed to after market or Motorcraft.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: roddster on July 19, 2024, 08:54:49 PMSo, you are saying is buy one older than 36 years, correct?

The Autolite or the Motorcraft are the only two that are built with the correct resistance. I have not found any aftermarket ones that are calibrated correctly including the Standard.

It seems to be an error in the current engineering resistance value listing. Someone made a mistake in that which has carried over into the aftermarket replacements.

IF you can find an original Autolite, use that one but even the Motorcraft are very difficult to find and be prepared to pay $100 or more for one.

The Autolite is going to be the original "assembly line" part and is considerably older then 35 years. The Motorcraft was the Ford Service Part. It looks the same except for the stamping ID on it.

There are at least two errors in the current engineering specification listings that I know of. The temp sender is one. The other is the spark plugs.

That will show a cross reference that indicates that the BF32 is equal to the BF42. That is also an engineering listing error that no one cares to correct.

Champion is the only plug manufacturer that has the correct heat range on their plugs now.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!