News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Turned on the a/c for the first time

Started by DP Customs, June 14, 2024, 12:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP Customs

Good morning, I just rewired a 69 Shelby GT350 that's been sitting for about 6 months.  I've been test driving it and all systems were working great until I turned on the air conditioning.  The belt screeched, motor stalled and there was smoke under the hood.  I lifted the hood to find a yellow-ish oil that sprayed on the left valve cover and exhaust manifold. Attached pics show the general area of oil and a small orifice that I suspect is where the oil came from but not sure.  I'm no a/c expert and wonder if you might know what I'm up against here? By the way, I turned off the ac switch and motor starts right up, runs great.     

Bill

I guess I'm old enough to remember the screech noise for when either the pulley or the compressor fails. I can remember the first time that occurred, it was in a 1972 Mustang convertible I was moving out of my my parents garage. I immediately got the blame for the failure as "I" must have done something to cause it to fail. Of course a trip to the local service garage and it turned out to not be my fault. How does it happen, age, a lack of lubricant to the moving parts, no Freon in the compressor, just for starters. If it was mine (mine vacuums down, but I do not have a belt on it, nor really need it given I drive with the top down all the time), I'd sent it out to Classic Air in Florida, and have them rebuild it, if the car is not a concourse car, have them rebuild for the newer freon replacement/equivalent.

Hope you find this useful.

Bill 
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

DP Customs

Thanks Bill, that's helpful, I'll reach out to them. Have a great day.