News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ford ESP (extended service plan)

Started by pchmotoho, June 27, 2024, 12:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pchmotoho

Can anyone tell me what they payed for a Ford ESP and how long was your additional coverage?  Just thinking about a new purchase and I would buy this if I go thru with purchase.  I know there are other options besides Ford but just looking around right now.  Thinking about a Platinum plan. 

FYI I am in Ca. and there was some new law recently put on the books where I can not purchase a plan outside of Ca.  I will not be registering the vehicle in Montana, ID or anywhere but Ca.

Thanks in advance.

tesgt350

Quote from: pchmotoho on June 27, 2024, 12:17:13 AMCan anyone tell me what they payed for a Ford ESP and how long was your additional coverage?  Just thinking about a new purchase and I would buy this if I go thru with purchase.  I know there are other options besides Ford but just looking around right now.  Thinking about a Platinum plan. 

FYI I am in Ca. and there was some new law recently put on the books where I can not purchase a plan outside of Ca.  I will not be registering the vehicle in Montana, ID or anywhere but Ca.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to say what Vehicle because I am sure the Cost depends on the Vehicle.  Our Ford Dealer makes you take that aftermarket 20 Year / 200,0000 Mile extended crap which is why I bought my last 7 Vehicles from out of town.

pchmotoho

Quote from: tesgt350 on June 27, 2024, 06:57:55 AM
Quote from: pchmotoho on June 27, 2024, 12:17:13 AMCan anyone tell me what they payed for a Ford ESP and how long was your additional coverage?  Just thinking about a new purchase and I would buy this if I go thru with purchase.  I know there are other options besides Ford but just looking around right now.  Thinking about a Platinum plan. 

Thanks in advance.

You might want to say what Vehicle because I am sure the Cost depends on the Vehicle.  Our Ford Dealer makes you take that aftermarket 20 Year / 200,0000 Mile extended crap which is why I bought my last 7 Vehicles from out of town.

Bronco Raptor

ChicagoChris

As a former Ford Field Manager I highly recomend the Ford ESP Plan ONLY.  The reason is all Ford dealers honor it and if you have an issue, you can at least apeal it to the Ford Zone Manager.

Rickmustang

When buying a new truck, I used my Ford Pass points to purchase an ESP. Grainger Ford offered the cheapest price. My dealer laughed at the price Grainger offered and wouldn't match it. Mine was 8 years. No experience with CA, but I'm surprised a CA dealer can't honor a Ford ESP if not originally purchased from a CA dealer.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 482 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

tesgt350

Quote from: Rickmustang on June 27, 2024, 10:43:27 AMWhen buying a new truck, I used my Ford Pass points to purchase an ESP. Grainger Ford offered the cheapest price. My dealer laughed at the price Grainger offered and wouldn't match it. Mine was 8 years. No experience with CA, but I'm surprised a CA dealer can't honor a Ford ESP if not originally purchased from a CA dealer.

How many Points did that cost you.  I believe I have over 110,000 Points right now.

Rickmustang

It's been a couple years so don't remember. It took all my points from buying a $90k truck and maybe a little cash. I did get from Grainger.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 482 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

pchmotoho

Thanks for the info.  Yes, if I do purchase the vehicle it will 99% be a Ford plan.  I just want to check out other options for the sake of educating myself  I have never before purchased an extended warranty for an automobile.

I will cal Grainger just to verify what more than a few people have already said regarding outside Ca companies being able to sell to Ca residents.

Thanks for the help.

98SVT - was 06GT

Found this - Why are extended car warranties not available in California?
VSCs are sold throughout the U.S., but in California, companies must have a special license and operate in accordance with certain regulations to sell them. If a company that isn't a licensed car dealership attempts to sell VSCs to consumers, they could face felony charges.Jun 4, 2024

The way that reads you could buy the Ford extended warranty from ANY Ford dealer. Of course your stealership will say you have to buy from them so they make the commission. That brings up another item most of the dealers have the finance guy pitch the warranty and they try to get the most $$ out of you since they boost their pay with the commission on the sale. That CA law also smacks of the free trade laws across state lines guaranteed by the Constitution and like a lot of CA BS wouldn't standup if someone wanted to spend the money taking them to court.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

pchmotoho

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 27, 2024, 06:29:29 PMFound this - Why are extended car warranties not available in California?
VSCs are sold throughout the U.S., but in California, companies must have a special license and operate in accordance with certain regulations to sell them. If a company that isn't a licensed car dealership attempts to sell VSCs to consumers, they could face felony charges.Jun 4, 2024

The way that reads you could buy the Ford extended warranty from ANY Ford dealer. Of course your stealership will say you have to buy from them so they make the commission. That brings up another item most of the dealers have the finance guy pitch the warranty and they try to get the most $$ out of you since they boost their pay with the commission on the sale. That CA law also smacks of the free trade laws across state lines guaranteed by the Constitution and like a lot of CA BS wouldn't standup if someone wanted to spend the money taking them to court.

What you said pretty much lines up with what the salesmen just told me from the Ford dealer in Stockton. He said not to quote him but he mentioned special licenses and said it was generally a PITA to do business in Ca (never heard that before!).

I did go on the Granger website and on the drop down menu for applications CA hasn't even listed. Skipped right over them. Appeared as if all the remaining 49 states were there.

If anyone was curious I got quoted for Ford Platinum plan all my quotes are for 10 years

60k miles 2350
75k       3075
85k.      3355
100k      3465

Thanks for all the advice. Didn't mean to dominate the forum with such a non Shelby topic.

98SVT - was 06GT

Don't forget with your SAAC Membership you can use the X Plan for your purchase. I don't know if it's good on the Bronco Raptor though.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless