News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Preferred Oil Pan Gasket

Started by SHELB66, September 04, 2024, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHELB66

Is there a preferred oil pan gasket for the '66 Shelby?  I'll be having some work done on my Hertz and may need to source a part or two.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

jk66gt350

I asked this question a few years ago and was told the following gasket was highly recommended. FelPro part number OS1326OT I used it on my oil pan and it worked great and I've never had a leak in the last 5-6 years. 

98SVT - was 06GT

I still like cork oil pan and valve cover gaskets. I glue them to the pan or VC then put a light film of grease on the exposed side. That makes it so it won't stick to the block or head and you can adj the valves (or check the bearings) without destroying the gasket.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SHELB66 on September 04, 2024, 07:24:47 PMIs there a preferred oil pan gasket for the '66 Shelby?  I'll be having some work done on my Hertz and may need to source a part or two.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Craig R.
It depends if you are concerned about the original look or not. The blue color of the Fel Pro OS1326OT oil pan gasket screams aftermarket but is a good modern replacement. Where as a cork gasket blends into that assemblyline vib.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jk66gt350

Totally agree.  The reason I used the Felpro was I had issues with the cork gasket that was on it.  I am also not planning to have the car judge so functionality was more important than looks to me.

SHELB66

Thanks everyone!  Since functionality is the key for me I'll probably go with the FelPro.  My car is "leak city" as I'm faced with a stripped oil pan plug hole, leaking rear main seal, and leaky trans due to what I believe to be a bad shifter shaft seal.  It should all be taken care of within a couple of months.  Turns out this will be the perfect time to get my correct HiPo trans finally installed in my car.  I came across a freshly rebuilt trans several years ago that actually came out of a '66 Hertz!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

FL SAAC

brand, definitely FELPRO that would be my choice

which one would I use ?

Depends on how CONCURIOUS you are

Me, I would go with their blue oil pan gasket

But if in a "judged" event, once they look at your oil pan, the monkey poo will get flung and it's back to your zoo cell, no bananas for you

The cork gasket is the original type used and will last a good long time

wishing you the very best with what ever decision you decide to go with

have a great day, laters !

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

Quote from: SHELB66 on September 05, 2024, 11:50:50 AMThanks everyone!  Since functionality is the key for me I'll probably go with the FelPro.  My car is "leak city" as I'm faced with a stripped oil pan plug hole, leaking rear main seal, and leaky trans due to what I believe to be a bad shifter shaft seal.  It should all be taken care of within a couple of months.  Turns out this will be the perfect time to get my correct HiPo trans finally installed in my car.  I came across a freshly rebuilt trans several years ago that actually came out of a '66 Hertz!

Craig R.

What a great find!  Like finding Inca gold when various rare pieces are found.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"