News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine Choice for 66 Fastback

Started by tesgt350, July 30, 2024, 09:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

I am in Serious Thinking Mode of starting a new custom Harley Mustang Building Company.  I have most ready to go since I owned one once before.  My question is, if you wanted to build a Performance Street Licensed 1966 Mustang Fastback with Mods such as Adjustable Suspension and huge Disc Brakes at all 4 and wanted to do Track Days with it as well, would you rebuild the V8 Engine that is in the Car so you know what you have or would you rather drop in a Create 347 with 360HP from Ford Motorsports or a All Aluminum 302 with 425HP from Carroll Shelby Engines?  The Trans and Rear End will be fully rebuilt as well.

FL SAAC

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 30, 2024, 09:58:32 AMI am in Serious Thinking Mode of starting a new custom Harley Mustang Building Company.

Is this project to be of multiple vehicle builds, perhaps to the point of claiming a possible "production-run"?  ???

If so, I would probably be considering engine and driveline componentry that might be currently available from Ford Manufacturing?  I realize that Coyote 5.0's might be a bit challenging to install in '65 & '66 Mustangs (but is doable) but perhaps others (V6's & even 4's) might fill the bill as their current performance capabilities are greater than that of the original 289's?  :-\

Scott.                                                                   

tesgt350

Quote from: FL SAAC on July 30, 2024, 10:44:55 AMNone of the above

COYOTE
Sorry but No. 

tesgt350

Quote from: pbf777 on July 30, 2024, 10:49:12 AM
Quote from: tesgt350 on July 30, 2024, 09:58:32 AMI am in Serious Thinking Mode of starting a new custom Harley Mustang Building Company.

Is this project to be of multiple vehicle builds, perhaps to the point of claiming a possible "production-run"?  ???

If so, I would probably be considering engine and driveline componentry that might be currently available from Ford Manufacturing?  I realize that Coyote 5.0's might be a bit challenging to install in '65 & '66 Mustangs (but is doable) but perhaps others (V6's & even 4's) might fill the bill as their current performance capabilities are greater than that of the original 289's?  :-\

Scott.                                                                   

I'm thinking of Building just a total of 15 and there is a reason why I want to use the 302 Create Motor or Rebuild what is in the Car already.  I plan to buy totally restored Cars to start with to make it easier for what I will be doing.

crossboss

Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

JohnSlack

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 30, 2024, 11:03:10 AM
Quote from: pbf777 on July 30, 2024, 10:49:12 AM

Scott.                                                                   

I'm thinking of Building just a total of 15 and there is a reason why I want to use the 302 Create Motor or Rebuild what is in the Car already.  I plan to buy totally restored Cars to start with to make it easier for what I will be doing.

Taking that shortcut will bite you in the butt, yes it's easier.... until you realize that the last people to "totally restore" the car didn't.

Start with a new rust free Dynacorn chassis and go from there. Otherwise you are just doing a driveline swap and calling it good. As crossbows suggested a stroker 351 Windsor with a maximum bore Dart aluminum block, AFR heads, but make all of the engines the same.

John

98SVT - was 06GT

Don't do a cookie cutter restomod. The GIANT Coyote engine takes a lot of cutting to get in. Go with the pinnacle of the small block and stick in a high reving Boss. Boss 302s are pricey I'd go with 351 4V Cleveland. The Cleveland will fit without cutting the towers. It's tight on the steering box but for your build you'll want to be adding rack and pinion anyway.
As far as buying "restored" cars - save your money. You'll be chasing the shoddy work done below a pretty paint job by another shop.

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

pbf777

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 30, 2024, 09:58:32 AM..............would you rather drop in a Create 347 with 360HP from Ford Motorsports................

If only such was available!  And I can't say much for the bulk of that which is otherwise marketed as a "Crate Motor" elsewhere. :(  And this is why I suggested perhaps something from current production line manufacturing might be plausible?  :-\ 

But me, and if it were available from Ford Performance, then I'd go with their 363 cubic inch example (M-6007-ZZ363FT), as we've utilized several in past customer builds with great satisfaction.  ;)

I like 351C's, but just doesn't seem right in a '65-'66, and as a retrofit just complicates things and runs the costs up; and I feel the same for the 351W's. Not sure of your targeted market but generally I think enough power (500 H.P. as marketed) would be had from the lighter and more compact 363's (8.2 deck S.B.F.), easier to fit with less re-engineering and just seems right.   8)

Scott.

tesgt350

tesgt350

Quote from: pbf777 on July 30, 2024, 04:16:53 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on July 30, 2024, 09:58:32 AM..............would you rather drop in a Create 347 with 360HP from Ford Motorsports................

If only such was available!  And I can't say much for the bulk of that which is otherwise marketed as a "Crate Motor" elsewhere. :(  And this is why I suggested perhaps something from current production line manufacturing might be plausible?  :-\ 

But me, and if it were available from Ford Performance, then I'd go with their 363 cubic inch example (M-6007-ZZ363FT), as we've utilized several in past customer builds with great satisfaction.  ;)

I like 351C's, but just doesn't seem right in a '65-'66, and as a retrofit just complicates things and runs the costs up; and I feel the same for the 351W's. Not sure of your targeted market but generally I think enough power (500 H.P. as marketed) would be had from the lighter and more compact 363's (8.2 deck S.B.F.), easier to fit with less re-engineering and just seems right.   8)

Scott.

I like the way you think.

TA Coupe

I would consider one of these engines

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/engines-components/section/engine-assemblies/part-type/crate-engines/crate-engine-family/ford-windsor

A lot if not all of the Blueprint engines come with new proprietary 4 bolt blocks that they have made.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

tesgt350

Quote from: TA Coupe on July 30, 2024, 08:22:55 PMI would consider one of these engines

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/engines-components/section/engine-assemblies/part-type/crate-engines/crate-engine-family/ford-windsor

A lot if not all of the Blueprint engines come with new proprietary 4 bolt blocks that they have made.

Roy

Thank you for that info.  That helps a LOT to keeping the Price down.

Kent

I would build an 331 that will make 7500 rpm and around 500 hp thats perfect for such a build.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68