News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

KONI Classic on 65 GT350

Started by chris NOS, June 02, 2024, 07:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris NOS

Hi gentlemen ,it's time to replace the 10 years old AVON on 241, no more available in 2024,i'm going for the Michelin XWX 205/70/15 , and i m going to replace the old 1980's front KONI for a new set of Koni Classic edition with the correct stickers.
my question here is on those koni coming out of the box ,what ride stiffness i can expect , should i tune them few half turns from the standard out of the box set up ?
i like the car the way it is now , and don't want to get a soft ride ,i m thinking to count the turns on the ones that are on the car now until minimum and put the same numbers on the new ones i guess it should be close ? Any feed back from your experience ?
Thank you.

chris NOS

update , i installed the 4 koni right out off the box , not touching them , and it was the good choice the car is riding like i expected , the Michelin are nice , a little smaller in diameter than i expected , but fine.
the koni are the special edition for the GT350 i bought with Virginia classic mustang , unfortunatly no more available.
I put a picture of the new one and the original correct dated April 65  that i have but i m not putting on the car .

few pictures off the Michelin on left and Avon on right .

chris NOS

The koni are still available with Shelby parts and restorations ...
https://shelbypartsstore.com/product/limited-run-1965-66-koni-gt350-reissued-shocks/

they can even get them even more correct with some modifications .

Bob Gaines

It looks like the base is decidedly different with extra welding at the base . that would be hard to fix. That makes it a better shock for racing although I have never seen or heard of that being a weak point. That lower part is seen when looking at a spring perch area. Don't get me wrong it is a great part and I would rather see this then a later generic Koni just disappointed that it is not as exact as it easily could have been. They are probably cheaper and a better choice then having originals restored by Koni from what ones that I have seen and heard about after they came back from the Koni restoration shop. They will pass in all but the toughest concours classes. Of course so will most all of the later version Koni's too.  Thank you for posting a comparison . I know what to look out for now. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

chris NOS

Bob,i understand your disappointment and i m sharing it with you,Koni could go all the way to replicate the period correct Koni in every aspect...but at least it looks like they did the internal in respect off the originals ones,to be honest i don't see any difference with the one i had on it until now from the 80's...
I never drove the car with the 65's version so i don't really know how it was riding originally...
I like the Michelin , expensive but quality tires,i know not so many cars got driven but i would recommande them , i know Brant has some on his car too .

Bob Gaines

Quote from: chris NOS on July 27, 2024, 01:08:56 PMBob,i understand your disappointment and i m sharing it with you,Koni could go all the way to replicate the period correct Koni in every aspect...but at least it looks like they did the internal in respect off the originals ones,to be honest i don't see any difference with the one i had on it until now from the 80's...
I never drove the car with the 65's version so i don't really know how it was riding originally...
I like the Michelin , expensive but quality tires,i know not so many cars got driven but i would recommande them , i know Brant has some on his car too .
The old shocks should be no difference feel wise. Good to know about the tires thanks for the insight.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby