News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoration Questions

Started by Rcbach302, August 29, 2024, 04:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rcbach302

For my 68 convertible 3/20 build date:

1. The sill plates for my car, which appear to be original judging by the wear, patina and caulk on the underside, have "Shelby American Inc Los Angeles California" emblems. All the 68's I have seen just say "shelby automotive, inc". Is the former correct?
2. Was the bronze 4spd sticker on the console woodgrain standard for all cars? I have seen on some but not all.
3. Are the hood hold down bracket fasteners bright zinc or black phosphate? Are there 3 or 5?
1968 GT350 Convertible #3127

Coralsnake

Well your car didnt ever come from Lost Angeles, so they are incorrect for your build

A car built 3/20/68 should have plates that say: Shelby Automotive

The bronze shift pattern is correct for a 4spd car.

I dont know what a hold down fastener is from your description

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TLea

I don't think a 3-20 date would have shift plate. Plus they only went on KRs
I think he's talking about Dzus spring on pin hold down? Zinc dichromate

TA Coupe

What about the sill plates that have a snake instead of the CS? Are they correct for anything?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Rcbach302

Coralsnake, I meant the bolts that hold the center hood latch receiver to the radiator support.

Regarding the sill plate, I was reading in Greg Kolasa's Shelby Mustang Guide book which on page 150 indicates the "LA" plates were used on some early cars.

So 4spd stickers only on KR's?

Coralsnake

On the top of the latch support the bolts are silver cad except the two that hold the latch bar, those two are phosphate.

TLeas response is the early cars most likely received the blue striped knob and no shift plate

KRs were intended to get the plate and a special wood knob

I can agree with that

No early cars did not get LA plates. No CS on sill plates in 1968

Correct plate here

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/interior/sill-plates/scuff-plate-emblem-shelby-1968-1970.html

Besides March 20 something is half way through production

Rcbach302

Got it and thanks folks. I'm sure there is more to come that I can't find on a search.

Coralsnake

We shall do our best

Where else are you going to find real judges and top restoration experts?

Rcbach302

Nowhere! Wait, there's an abundance on Bat. Seriously, I truly appreciate the time you all spend in helping preserve these cars correctly.

TLea

They did use 2 sill emblems. Nearly identical but early thru about early February said Shelby American. After Shelby Automotive

Coralsnake

But no the  "los angeles" version 😉

Here is the "early" 1968 version

https://www.topflightautomotive.com/products/auto-accessories-of-america-1968-ford-mustang-shelby-sill-plate-decal/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17252917599&utm_content=&utm_term=&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_tllkCtCZ0KMYGT8XYLCD9HaEWY&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28W2BhC7ARIsAPerrcIEVOpKALSxDrejmokiHXrNjUsl47utidu5-m2Q5sawLe19O4Qf4_0aArhNEALw_wcB

In summary 1968 Shelby sill plate emblems will say either Shelby American or Shelby Automotive with a snake picture. Approximately changing over in early March of 1968