News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Holman Moody Intake SK-50282 Buddy Bar 429 Single Carb Dominator

Started by Kent, March 13, 2024, 01:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbf777

Thanks John for the information and pictures!  :)

B.T.W., a bit off topic, but as depicted in some of the photos, it's never a good idea to twist chain to shorten it up, as this potentially creates sheer and leverage effects of far greater loading and in directions not intended of the chain by design.  ;)

But, I know: "it's how we always done it, and we never had a problem with it before!"  ::) 

Well then, this just establishes that it's fortunate one is utilizing chain that is apparently many times the size/grade of that which would be appropriate when utilized properly!  And when often intentional, this I think is often referred to as an engineering margin for the human intervention (stupidity) factor.   :o 

Scott.

crossboss

I believe those are the XE/SK Dominator spider intakes on the engines that Dr. John posted.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

C5HM

Quote from: crossboss on September 11, 2024, 05:56:43 PMI believe those are the XE/SK Dominator spider intakes on the engines that Dr. John posted.
Here are a couple of shots of HM NASCAR wedge intakes. The second one has been modified to run the "box" insert of flow restrictor rings that the rules at one point required...instead of traditional plates.

pbf777

Hey John,

It's interesting to note that the last two photos are of the same type manifold casting (SK-50282), but I believe the previous photos present a different version (and, I have examples of both!  8) ). Are there others?   

It would seem that the SK-50282 version consisted of an effort in comparison for a reduced carburetor height, maybe for a lower hood line vehicle application?  And also seems to present a smaller runner cross section. So, did they ever utilize the 429 "wedge" engines in something other than the "big car" chassis for Stock-Car racing?  ???

Do you perhaps have any period photos showing the "SK-50282" version in use?

How about the "chicken or the egg" timeline, of which might have come along first?  MY 'supposition' is leaning to the idea that the "SK-50282" is the later version, and maybe possibly not actually having been intended for the Stock-Car Racing series, rather something else?

Holman & Moody were also heavily involved in the performance marine scene in the '70's, and boats do generally require flatter torque curves this perhaps consistent with the lesser volume intake runners? But then again, somewhere in the time line Holman & Moody 'Marine' began utilizing the "HMM" logo as cast on the intakes for those intentions.  :-\

Scott.

C5HM

Scott, No one was running "Big Cars (if by that you mean full sized cars) in Grand National by the late 60s early 70s except perhaps independents. Both Junie Donlavey and the Woods experimented with wedge headed 429s in half chassis Holman Moody built 70-71 Montegos. It is possible, but not certain that HM also experimented with wedge 429s in 1971 in a 70-71 formal roof Torino driven by Bobby Allison. I seem to recall hearing that happened. You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.