News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 KR500 clutch

Started by lawinc, September 14, 2024, 01:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawinc

My friend clutch is about gone on his 68 and I am trying to help him put the right kind back in. I told him if the original is in there we can possibly get it rebuilt?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: lawinc on September 14, 2024, 01:05:17 PMMy friend clutch is about gone on his 68 and I am trying to help him put the right kind back in. I told him if the original is in there we can possibly get it rebuilt?
In times past it was common to get them rebuilt. Those shops are in the few and far between now . For example the only one in the Kansas City 2.5 million metropolitan area closed up last fall. My only choice now is to ship out of town. Consequently unless there is some historical or personal reasons to restore the take off the cost of shipping to and from plus the resto cost diminish the incentive to restore over buying new aftermarket. Maybe you can ask around and see if any brake companies locally still do rebuilds. The cost to rebuild is typically much less then new.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

lawinc

Any thing aftermarket ok to use   That works as good?

Craner

Sent PM
I recently had original KR disc and pressure plate rebuilt.
Always save the original factory parts, even if you decide to go aftermarket.

Fran

Steve Meltzer

In the process of getting my rear leaf springs re-arched, the place that was recommended really specializes in large truck suspensions, brakes and clutches. I did not inquire about rebuilding my clutch, as it doesn't need it, but you might check with some industrial truck repair shops and see if they don't do something similar. I live in Houston and we have a very large, large truck economy. Just a thought. Steve

8T03S1425

I think you may have several options. If the clutch and pressure plate are original to the car, it may be larger than what is currently available. I believe originals are 11-1/2" dia as opposed to 11" dia.

Another alternative is to replace the 3-finger pressure plate and compatible clutch disc with a diaphragm pressure plate and compatible clutch disc.

The guy that installed my GT500 drive train used the diaphragm and clutch disc. So far, it seems okay, but I've read that it may malfunction by not re-engaging the clutch disc at high RPM shifts. To be on the safe side, I retained my 3-finger pressure plate and worn clutch disc, should I decide to get them rebuilt.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

pbf777

Research this subject of clutch replacements, particularly the concerns in converting from the 3-finger "Long-style" unit as was original versus the commonly made available (cheaper) diaphragm types.  ;)

Even just this Forum, there has been much discussion on the subject.  :) 

Scott.

tgilliam

lawinc,
If you would like to have the clutch and pressure plate you have rebuilt send me a PM with contact information. I can recommend an excellent Vendor that I have used numerous times.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

vtgt500

Keep in mind, Ford never made Mustang clutches.  I believe Borg Warner was the vendor.  Over the years I have personally installed probably every brand clutch in a '60s vintage, performance Ford.  Today, the choice for fit, function, and performance is simple.  I use CenterForce Dual Friction in all my vehicles.  Can easily feather the clutch to parallel park on a hill without a hint of chatter, or hard launch 500 HP.