News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Trailer spare tire

Started by mikeh, September 12, 2024, 05:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeh

I am planning to order a new aluminum enclosed trailer soon. I see a lot of them have the spare tire mounted high on the inside wall. I am a little leery of this, anyone have any experience/opinion?

Thanks, Mike

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I have a trailer and have one spare mounted on the front outside with a lock on it and two mounted up on the sides just inside the rear door. I also keep an additional spare in the back of the truck. I also change the tire every 5-6 years based on the date codes on the tires. Take offs become the spares and older ones are sold to a local marina who use them on boat trailers
 I bought the mounts for the spare from E-Trailer on line and they have worked great. I have towed trailer over 40,000 miles and the spares have never slipped or fallen. I have had 6 flat tires, mostly caused by road debris
Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Also, get spares with metal valve stems if possible, the rubber ones have caused problem if you use a tire pressure monitoring system. The transponders will rip the valve stem lose.
Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

A-Snake

If you have the floor space, the spare can be secured to the floor of the trailer.  https://www.saac.com/forum/gallery/15-130924151350.jpeg

FL SAAC

We have purchased trailer tires and rims very economically from our local walmart

Best of luck in your search
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

KR Convertible

Keep in mind UV light is the enemy of tires. If you can't mount your spare inside, use a cover.

Covers are a great way to protect tires

98SVT - was 06GT

I use metal stems on all trailer tires. I also use light truck tires instead of trailer tires. They seem to be more durable.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

I use 10 ply trailer tires. I've heard people using truck tires but they say they've had issues with them.
What make and ratings ( size, load, speed, and plys ) tires do you use?