News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

C7ZE-8146-A

Started by mtdubvee, October 16, 2024, 12:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtdubvee

Son I came a cross a very interesting piece. C7ZE-8146-A fan shroud but it's old fiberglass. Has the Fomoco logo inside the rectangle and part number.

All I've ever seen before was the horse hair version.

Can anyone shed any light on the fiberglass version?

It's definitely a Fomoco part.

Thanks
Matt
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

Special Ed

And its hand laid fiberglass on backside thats been well done so its either an old repair or its another vendor or early prototype made as thats the first big block mustang cougar fan shrould made and its original.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mtdubvee on October 16, 2024, 12:07:55 PMSon I came a cross a very interesting piece. C7ZE-8146-A fan shroud but it's old fiberglass. Has the Fomoco logo inside the rectangle and part number.

All I've ever seen before was the horse hair version.

Can anyone shed any light on the fiberglass version?

It's definitely a Fomoco part.

Thanks
Matt
Crites sold that style fan shroud that had the fiberglass mat on the backside initially back in the 80's with the engineering number and trademark but stopped shortly after. Most likely they got schooled by someone on trademark infringement . They continued to sell it for some years with the engineering number but without the trademark.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

Matts shrould  is very well made and signs of FOMOCO markings and painted over black. If crites made it he did a good job and must have been made long ago as it looks old and used over the years as its much better than any repos i seen in last 20 years or so.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on October 16, 2024, 03:05:23 PMMatts shrould  is very well made and signs of FOMOCO markings and painted over black. If crites made it he did a good job and must have been made long ago as it looks old and used over the years as its much better than any repos i seen in last 20 years or so.
Matt didn't post a picture. From the description it sounds like what I have had and seen before. Back in the mid 80's when I bought one for a car I used to own. Crites were the only one's that made a 67 Mustang/Shelby big block fan shroud. They may have been the first. That was more then 35 years ago. The one I am talking about had the fiberglass weave mat on the backside and not chopped up fiberglass pieces style. The top side I can't remember if it came painted or not. I come across one every few years or so. I don't think that they made many that had the Ford trademark before they dropped it. Most that I saw only had the C7-A engineering number. I can say with a high confidence level that no 67 Shelby came with one that had fiberglass weave mat or chop style on the backside from the factory only as a after market replacement like I had on my car back then. Not telling Ed anything he doesn't already know but to those reading there are other parts out there too that are so old now that some new to the vintage parts business or others who have forgotten try to sell as NOS or used original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

He should have made many more like matts as it has the c7ze number and fomoco and the c7ze isnt perfectly lined up like i see on originals.  I had a Very hard to find mustang torino 429 cj scj fan shroud that i thought was OEM. till i compared it to the original on my car and backside was different but front looked correct so i contacted some 429cj guys and they said crites made some long ago from a splash type  mould  that  were made by hand but it never had the hand laid matting like the 67 so crites must have changed the way he was making them and i was told his were all hand made and time consuming to make so thats why they werent mass-produced and very limited production.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on October 16, 2024, 06:35:59 PMHe should have made many more like matts as it has the c7ze number and fomoco and the c7ze isnt perfectly lined up like i see on originals.  I had a Very hard to find mustang torino 429 cj scj fan shroud that i thought was OEM. till i compared it to the original on my car and backside was different but front looked correct so i contacted some 429cj guys and they said crites made some long ago from a splash type  mould  that  were made by hand but it never had the hand laid matting like the 67 so crites must have changed the way he was making them and i was told his were all hand made and time consuming to make so thats why they werent mass-produced and very limited production.
I remember impatient me had to wait on mine to ship because a new batch had to be made up I was told.