News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fuel additives

Started by SCOTTGTK, October 09, 2024, 07:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCOTTGTK

Good evening all, I am currently running ethanol free fuel in my K code and it's been running on that for years before my ownership. Does anyone know of and/or can recommend any additive that "duplicates" using ethanol free fuel? The ability to get ethanol free for me while not terribly far, isn't real close also. Just wondering if there was a safe, tested method with an additive that would be safe for a motor currently used to running ethanol free fuel.Thank you in advance ! Scott

mark p

Hmmm... I wonder if this will be like asking about the best oil or other "opinion" type subjects?  ???  ::)

There is no NON-ethanol fuel available in NJ near me. (sorry)
I've heard of a lot of people using Stabil.
Star-Tron says that it takes care of stabilizing and phase separation. I used that for quite a few years.
About 3 years ago I tried a little internet research and have since started using "Biobor EB" (from their website = Biobor EB is a specifically formulated additive for gasoline and ethanol fuel blends that helps combat the negative effects of ethanol in fuel tanks...)

It's not "scientific", but I've had no issues with any cars (so far), the tanks and carbs look good.

Good luck, and I'll also be interested to see what others have to say.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird / '22 Mach 1

JD

Quote from: mark p on October 10, 2024, 01:21:11 PMHmmm... I wonder if this will be like asking about the best oil or other "opinion" type subjects?  ???  ::)

There is no ethanol fuel available in NJ near me.
I've heard of a lot of people using Stabil.
Star-Tron says that it takes care of stabilizing and phase separation. I used that for quite a few years.
About 3 years ago I tried a little internet research and have since started using "Biobor EB" (from their website = Biobor EB is a specifically formulated additive for gasoline and ethanol fuel blends that helps combat the negative effects of ethanol in fuel tanks...)

It's not "scientific", but I've had no issues with any cars (so far), the tanks and carbs look good.

Good luck, and I'll also be interested to see what others have to say.

So you can only get non-ethanol fuel?  Would seem you're pretty good already?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

SCOTTGTK

Thanks JD.... I can ethanol fuel as well... the car has been run on non ethanol and I have run it that way also... the slight problem is the source of non ethanol is terribly close...not terribly far also... I just wanted to get thoughts from the group if an additive could be a safe alternative.. since you started using Biobor EB, I assume youre also using ethanol gas?

SCOTTGTK

I can get ethanol fuel is what I meant to say....

rkm

Take out the ethanol and mix 20 % race gas.

SCOTTGTK

mark p

error corrected  ::)
Hopefully the real info was not too hard to figure out
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird / '22 Mach 1

98SVT - was 06GT

The problem with ethanol is you need to change ALL the rubber hoses/gaskets to new types that alcohol won't eat. Cars generally run the same with 10% mix. If you are going to let the car sit make sure you add fuel stabilizer and fill the tank. Or drain every drop out of it.

Now that this thread has started I'm wondering if ethanol fuel played a part in the recent loss of the Ford Probe concept car. It was built in the alky free era and sat in a museum for years. It was probably fueled with CA pump gas that has ethanol added to go to the show at Pebble Beach.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

I would get a storage drum for your pure gas and make the occasional run to that gas station with your daily driver when you need gas for it and at the same time fill up a few gas cans with the pure stuff and bring back with you to use on an as needed basis.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

rhjanes

If at all possible, use ethanol free on the older vehicles.  Use Sta-Bil in them also, and any fuel in fuel storage cans.
My mowers, 1969 and 1970 Mustangs both run better on the ethanol free stuff.

I'm thinking that all the rubber fuel parts manufactured in the last 20 years, are ethanol compliant.  So if you've done maintenance on fuel systems, your parts are probably OK with the ethanol.
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

rkm

If you take the ethanol out of 91 octane pump gas you wind up about 86 or 87 octane. If you get 110 race gas mix it in the correct proportions and average the octane ratings. You can give yourself about 92 to 95 octane with no ethanol. That means that your carburetter and fuel pump diaphragm won't disintegrate And it smells a lot better than pump gas.

SCOTTGTK

I'm missing something RKM... how am I taking ethanol out of 91 oct pump gas?

69 GT350 Vert

I run Earls Vapor Guard EFI rubber fuel lines on my carbureted Shelby.  The standard rubber fuel line allows fuel vapor to pass, and they will deteriorate from ethanol.  If you run a carb and fuel pump with gaskets designed for ethanol, and the vapor guard hose, you shouldn't have to worry about running E10 fuel.  I've been doing it for a while with no problems. 

FEATURES OF EARLS VAPOR GUARD HOSE:
Multi-layer rubber hose designed to withstand to the corrosive properties of modern fuels
Multi-fuel compatible: Approved for use with leaded and unleaded Gasoline, Diesel, Biodiesel, E-85, 100% Methanol, ETHANOL and gasohol fuels
A two foot section of Earl's Vapor Guard saves one gallon of gas each year as compared to traditional rubber hose from permeation alone.
Primary Barrier Liner – initial layer offers high resistance to heat and aggressive fuels
Vapor Guard Barrier – Thermoplastic layer provides superior fuel isolation significantly reducing vapors from escaping through the hose
Reinforcement braid-aramid material – (EFI hose only) is used to provide the higher pressure rating that is required with fuel injection
Exterior cover – provides extreme tolerance of heat and ozone
Choose from carburetor or higher pressure EFI hose
Hose available in 5/16" and 3/8" sizes

rkm

I am told there is a way involving water but I don't know all the particulars because Mr. Trudeau doesn't want me to. The info might be on the internet. But despite the fact that China is building a bunch of coal fired electricity plants, I'm setting a good example by driving my hydrocarbon powered car 1000 miles or so in the summer and not using evil non ethanol gasoline. I may not stop global warming, but maybe I will influence other nations with my good example.