News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

JWA GT40 at LeMans 1968 with Stirling Moss Narrating

Started by NC TRACKRAT, August 07, 2024, 08:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7O5zpRXEhQ

Chassis history - https://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis/archive/GT40%20P__1075.html#google_vignette

Glad you put JWA and not Ford in the title. At the end of 67 Ford was out. John Wyer & John Willment took over Ford Advance Vehicles (mid/late 66 when Ford decided to build the J car in the US). With FAV they got rights to build the GT40s. FIA banned the 427 so JWA built what was basically an aluminum tub MKI and equipped it with a 302 sporting Gurney Westlake heads (I guess you could say Gurney won it 68 & 69 too). P1075 won LeMans twice the only GT40 to do it. P1074 - Mirage M1 - would have been more competitive with it's sleeker roofline but it had been destroyed in 67 at Nurburgring some of it's parts were used to build P1075. For 68 the cars got their original roofs back - but I do prefer the JWA roofline as a natural progression. The handwriting was on the wall the car even though much lighter and more reliable was no longer competitive. JWA took their Gulf Oil money and bought a Porsche.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 21, 2024, 07:40:28 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7O5zpRXEhQ

Glad you put JWA and not Ford in the title. At the end of 67 Ford was out. John Wyer & John Willment took over Ford Advance Vehicles (mid/late 66 when Ford decided to build the J car in the US). With FAV they got rights to build the GT40s. FIA banned the 427 so JWA built what was basically an aluminum tub MKI and equipped it with a 302 sporting Gurney Westlake heads (I guess you could say Gurney won it 68 & 69 too). P1075 won LeMans twice the only GT40 to do it. P1074 - Mirage M1 - would have been more competitive with it's sleeker roofline but it had been destroyed in 67 at Nurburgring some of it's parts were used to build P1075. For 68 the cars got their original roofs back - but I do prefer the JWA roofline as a natural progression. The handwriting was on the wall the car even though much lighter and more reliable was no longer competitive. JWA took their Gulf Oil money and bought a Porsche.

John Wyer was a bit of a genius to say the least was he not?  I particularly am enamored with the 69 design of the Ford GT over the others.  And the Gulf livery is so choice.  I still lust for a Tag Heuer Monaco with the Gulf livery on its face.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

The first one you linked is the most desirable I believe out of the other two.  I would only get used but it will have to wait.  That kind of money is going toward my father's 65 to move her into R model territory.  But is is a sweet time piece. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"