News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Barn Find... Extravaganza

Started by Greg, March 12, 2018, 04:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Quote from: deathsled on March 14, 2018, 11:26:09 PM
Stinky, stanky, stunky.  But Richard Rawlings is entertaining.

LOL... Learn young grass hopper....all you have to do is slam the car with bags, slather a paint job on it, do a few whoops and call it sold!!  Its that easy  ;D
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bigfoot

Quote from: 2112 on March 14, 2018, 11:18:42 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on March 14, 2018, 02:59:38 PM
Look at all the "Barn Finds" on Gas Monkey..........I am just so glad that he sells most of them as is and doesn't put his Stank on them.

^^^^THIS

+1
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

6R07mi

or the "barn" is an outbuilding in Dallas....

jp
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Greg

Quote from: 6R07mi on March 15, 2018, 12:51:55 PM
or the "barn" is an outbuilding in Dallas....

jp

Looks like a great find!

deathsled

I remember the Ferrari F40 they did.  They painted it black.  I would think that put a dent in its value.  Reggie Jackson bought for $675,000
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Survivor

Replying in general.  I to am the recipient of an iron clad and well documented one owner 35k mile B9.  It sat in a damp garage for years-untouched except by time.  Solid as a rock and with more character than you can imagine.  We cleaned and preserved it and it's now seeing as much road time as I can find.  I'm not sure there's anything better than finding, saving and enjoying a true time capsule.  It's a "survivor" plain and simple-I could have found it anywhere.  While there are certainly exceptions, "Barn Find", for the most part, is nothing more than a slick marketing tool to sell a car not worthy of any other designation.  A feeble attempt to attract those of us who, in my opinion, are more of the "survivor" class of people-true blue treasure hunters.  But here's the thing, for the purist and well educated, the term is meaningless to begin with since we'll take the time and spend the money to vet the car from the outset.  Once viewed, it is what it is-either an absolute piece of shit or something else-survivor or otherwise.

Quote from: deathsled on March 15, 2018, 08:09:36 PM
I remember the Ferrari F40 they did.  They painted it black.  I would think that put a dent in its value.  Reggie Jackson bought for $675,000

I thought Reggie quickly resold it for a loss ?

Greg

Quote from: Bigblock on March 16, 2018, 08:01:43 AM
This is called 'The barn find to beat all barn finds'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0y2r0Fpck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37BKem87Z10

What I love about this is what she said, "Its time".  It is way better to sale the car than to let it set and rot away.  I know a lot of people that have great cars just sitting in their garages, barns or fields just rotting away and never seen by the public especially young kids.  Most of the hoarders say "I'm going get to it one day" but sadly one day never comes, they die and the family sells it to whoever comes along.  In this story these people got to decide the home their charished car went to.