News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Help solve the mystery - CSX2345 #3 on Passenger Side Roundel?

Started by Bob Lisowski, March 07, 2022, 01:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Lisowski

Hoping a Shelby Cobra historian can definitively say whether Bob Bondurant's CSX2345 car that he raced in the 1964 Spa Grand Prix was missing the #3 on the pax side door.

Story goes that Bondurant's crew couldn't get the #3 painted on the pax side door in time before the race began. Bondurant went on to win his GT class at the Spa Grand Prix. Being the superstitious type, Bondurant didn't want the #3 painted on his pax side door for any races thereafter.

I have a pic of the #3 car supposedly from the 1964 Spa race that shows no #3 on the pax side door. But I also found a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ElVVkOpgA) supposedly of the same 1964 Spa race that shows a #3 on the pax side door.

So what's the truth?

I'm curious because I have ordered a tribute car and want to be period correct as possible. Thanks!

98SVT - was 06GT

I can only say it would not have been Bob's choice. The rules say how big and where the numbers must be. If he ran without them and someone protested he'd get a DQ. If he got a DQ the 2nd place car would move up. If it was another Cobra there'd be no reason to protest unless you could get your car into the points.

The FIA were sticklers - they DQed a Mini rally win because it had the wrong part number on a parking light. The big guys didn't like being beaten and fronted the cash for a total tear down. Since Mini got the DQ they got their $ back.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless