News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What movie comes to mind when you see this man ?

Started by FL SAAC, July 10, 2023, 12:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Quote from: 557 on July 10, 2023, 12:52:31 PM
Cool hand Luke..

What about his award winning performance in :

" Gone with the wind "
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on July 10, 2023, 01:14:13 PM
Cool hand Luke..

What about his award winning performance ....

or...... in Winning? Where he won Indy and didn't even have Bob Sharp blocking for him. In reality I think more about salad dressing. But gotta agree with QT on this one.

Quentin Tarantino, when asked about his favorite race car films, was not a fan of Winning. "I'd rather saw my fingers off than sit through that again," he said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_(film)
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 10, 2023, 03:03:00 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on July 10, 2023, 01:14:13 PM
Cool hand Luke..

What about his award winning performance ....

or...... in Winning? Where he won Indy and didn't even have Bob Sharp blocking for him. In reality I think more about salad dressing. But gotta agree with QT on this one.

Quentin Tarantino, when asked about his favorite race car films, was not a fan of Winning. "I'd rather saw my fingers off than sit through that again," he said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_(film)

Ya'll taking about the movie Pista Infernale ?

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

The Verdict. Required watching in law school for legal ethics class.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

crossboss

"Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid", "HUD" and "The Towering Inferno" are three more good films.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

And who can forget his award winning role in Tales of Tomorrow entitled "Ice from Space".

I have all UNGOLD cars

Peter L.

For me it's 'Slap Shot'! A classic for sure. One of those movies you can watch over and over again and still laugh your a$$ off.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

NC TRACKRAT

...or "The Hustler"...or "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"...or "Nobody's Fool"...
BTW, if you want an excellent read, get a copy of "PAUL NEWMAN, The extraordinary life of an ordinary man". 
5S071, 6S1467

SHELB66

I like them all but "The Sting" and "The Color of Money" come to mind as favorites.  As previously mentioned "The Verdict" and "Nobody's Fool" are right up there also.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

NC TRACKRAT

Granted, some of his movies were less than memorable but most of them were.  As for his racing ability, he was more serious about that than he was about acting (which was pretty serious). For those of us who saw him race, he was 110% focused on just that. Winning the '95 24 Hours of Daytona at age 70 is a record that still stands. Budweiser being his beer of choice, I wonder if he'd let the latest "brew-ha-ha" change his drinking habits. :)
5S071, 6S1467

crossboss

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on July 11, 2023, 12:48:38 PM
Granted, some of his movies were less than memorable but most of them were.  As for his racing ability, he was more serious about that than he was about acting (which was pretty serious). For those of us who saw him race, he was 110% focused on just that. Winning the '95 24 Hours of Daytona at age 70 is a record that still stands. Budweiser being his beer of choice, I wonder if he'd let the latest "brew-ha-ha" change his drinking habits. :)

Newman was quite known as being very liberal. I'm sure he would embrace 'Tranny Fluid"
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on July 11, 2023, 12:48:38 PMWinning the '95 24 Hours of Daytona at age 70 is a record that still stands.
Having the movie company hire the right team had a lot to so with it. Roush Mustang with Tommy Kendall backed up by Mark Martin and Mike Brockman. GTS-1 cars were basically TransAm cars that also fit into the IMSA rules. This was still the time when sensible 8-9/10 driving made you a winner. Not like today where you need to be in war mode from the time the flag drops due to the improvements in reliability.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

Michael Brockman (everyone called him Brock) was a good buddy of mine, during my Motor Trend years. He introduced me to Newman, Dustin Hoffman, and a couple other of his movie pals. (He dated Stefanie Powers too!)

He was a racer first, then an occasional stunt driver, and did track testing for Motor Trend. He met Newman along the way.  Brock's handsome look, lean physique and friendly Southern drawl made him seem like he was sent by Central Casting to play the part of a race car driver. 

After hitting it off with Newman, he almost always got a bit part in Newman's movies from about 1987-on.  In The Road to Perdition, he's in a scene next to Tom Hanks, but didn't get a line to speak. He played a senior Army officer in Fat Man & Little Boy, in the nuke bomb testing scenes. In Bugsy (the Warren Beatty gangster movie) he played Bugsy's pilot, but all you saw on screen was Brock's right ear and the back of his head.

He was a great guy, with a million interesting stories. Pretty damn good shoe too. He died a couple of years ago.  Miss that guy.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model