News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'68 500/4spd

Started by Survivor, August 10, 2023, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Survivor

Not mine/no affiliation-we just have a vacation home nearby.  '68 500/4spd at Owls Head Transportation Museum auction on the 24th.  Check it out on their website-no Lot # given.  Looks like a nice survivor w/ low miles if correct.  I may be nearby on the 14th and if it's available can inspect.  Sometimes Owls Head allows inspections only day of or day before or not at all-I just can't remember their policy...     

Coralsnake

Thanks for sharing ..some good details there
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bigfoot

Does anybody know how much of the paint is original on this car? I'm not 100% sure from reading the description that the paint is original factory applied paint. Presumably it is. What I'm doing here, is just asking the question for all of our enlightenment
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bigfoot on August 10, 2023, 06:27:03 PM
Does anybody know how much of the paint is original on this car? I'm not 100% sure from reading the description that the paint is original factory applied paint. Presumably it is. What I'm doing here, is just asking the question for all of our enlightenment
After reading I did not read any direct verbiage about original paint or not. There are just comments about the paint is good. Someone who knows what to look for would have to inspect in person . I would not take the word of the seller . I don't know how many times claimed original paint has been proven false or partially false. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

I would plan on replacing all the tires. New Goodyear Eagles were last made around 2000. No idea if the rest of the car is any good or not.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Survivor

I'll call my contact at the Museum today and nail down what the inspection rules are and what, if anything, he knows about the car-and, I will be 10 minutes away from the Museum on Tues. and Wed. of next week if anyone wants my help.  If the car is not yet on site, which I'll bet it's not, I may be able to reach out/connect with the owner directly. 

Rodster-500

Nice car.

Its current owner, a long-time collector of vintage Shelby Mustangs, has owned this vehicle for 35 years and according to record is the fourth, and longest tenured caretaker.

According to what record I wonder?

Coralsnake

I think they mean for that specific car

Survivor

Agreed-saw the car this past week.  Very nice and while I'm not a certified judge, I have to say a quality survivor car.  Tough call on price given the buyer's fee esp. if bidding on line.  If the reserve is where I feel it is, when adding in the fee, I think your equity is dead in the water-just my humble opinion.  That said, an unmolested 500/4spd w/ very low miles & no stripes might be worth a stretch...  Again, imo.       

5s386

Did the factory install the Shelby VIN tag on the top of the apron before the left fender was installed?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 5s386 on August 22, 2023, 08:16:36 PM
Did the factory install the Shelby VIN tag on the top of the apron before the left fender was installed?

No Don't believe the fenders were removed typically at AO SMith
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cboss70

Any idea on what the reserve is?

Coralsnake

Mr Speegle +1

Fenders were on car when tag was installed

Rodster-500

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 22, 2023, 05:49:23 AM
I think they mean for that specific car

I misread that statement, my bad.  I think you are correct...again.  ;)