News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Random car pictures

Started by 1109RWHP, January 22, 2018, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TA Coupe

Is the Snake emblem correct for the car?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

FL SAAC

In 1958 at the Sebring 12-Hour GP spectators took advantage of any elevated structure (house or airport hanger) to get a good view of the race.

Were we actually that callous about spectator safety back then?

No doubt personal injury lawsuits encouraged the track to adopt a safety conscious stand as the years went on.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 03, 2024, 09:34:44 AMWere we actually that callous about spectator safety back then?

The idea that one was responsible for one's own actions seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.  :(

Scott.

FL SAAC

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

TA Coupe

That's Wendell Scott with the 34 car.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

FL SAAC

Interesting story of monkees, vehicle and CS prepped 289
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

the year 1954

where Spa

who are we ?
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

What to do if you see a out of control challenger on the road heading towards you:

You DODGE out the way....

And always remember MOPAR stands for;

MY OLD Pig AIN'T RUNNING
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

roddster

Photo 2 up: Sterling Moss on the left.

FL SAAC

Well here is the story of the Monkees and Carrol Shelbys 289

Dean Jeffries' 1963 Mantaray Maserati
It is highlighted in this first image, which includes the 289 Cobra engine that Carroll Shelby gave him as payment for the custom pearl yellow paint job on the very first Cobra.

This photo shows the color of the Mantaray, as pearl yellow or gold as it was filmed during the 1966-68 Monkees TV series, season 2, episode 21 called  "The Monkees Race Again" (a.k.a. "Leave The Driving To Us"), which was filmed December 18-20, 1967 and originally aired on February 12, 1968.

In 1963, as luck would have it, Dean's father-in-law had a couple of pre-war Maserati Formula cars sitting in his back yard. Dean asked nicely, the man obliged, and when it was all said and done, the Mantaray had an  extremely sophisticated foundation to begin life with.

From there, Dean  took a ton of quarter-inch rod and just started bending a shape he had  in his head. Once finished, he dropped the whole lot off at California  Metal Shaping and for $800, they formed the body.

Mechanicals were next. Dean did some work with Carol Shelby on the Cobra, and as trade, took a nicely prepared and webber inducted 289. It fit the car perfectly, and gave the Indy inspired ride all of the required grunt.

As mentioned earlier though, the frame and most of the remaining mechanicals are all Maserati – including the gorgeous drum brakes, beautifully proportioned rear-diff, and highly sophisticated (at the time) independent front suspension.

The final touch was a typical one in the early 1960's – a bubble top.

Dean blew it himself and amazingly, only had to do the deed once. I've  heard it said that Dean never really understood the bubble fad, thought  they ruined drive ability, but did it anyway as he felt he needed the feature to compete.

Whatever the case, you can't argue the final look.

Neither could the judges – Dean took the Roadster Show and all of the  goodies that came with it.

The car now sits fully restored in the Petersen Automotive Museum.

Jeffries personified the California hot rod and custom car culture that was a cornerstone of the original Shelby American.

Jeffries of course designed and built the Monkee Mobile GTO and other custom cars. Before he became famous for building custom TV and movie cars, he was well known for lettering and pin striping Indy cars and race cars, including Lance Reventlow's early Scarabs.

The building in which the Scarabs were built would ultimately be the same building that Shelby built his Cobras in.
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

1971 Cougar Eliminator...that never made it
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Elvis Presley's 1969 Intermeccanica Murena 429 GT V8.

One of only eleven built, this Intermeccanica Murena GT is a rare and unusual classic, even more so for the fact that it was owned by Elvis Presley. Packing a factory Ford 429 V8, as well as air conditioning and 4 seats, this lengthy shooting brake has styling that is very reminiscent of its time.

Thought to have covered only 2,200 miles in its lifetime, this may easily be the nicest surviving example of the 11 that were built.

Called the "fastest wagon in the world" the Murena used American underpinnings and a unique wagon body from Intermeccanica of Italy.

The Murena was built as sports wagon with luxury appointments, yet had the power of an American V8. It was the work of Franco Scaglione.

The concept was dreamed up by Charlie Schwendler and Jospeh Vos, the president of Murena Motors.  He had Intermeccanica built the first prototype which was displayed at the 1969 New York Motor Show.

The Murena weighed in at 3770 lbs which was 1000 less than the Thunderbird. This was paramount, since the Murena used the Thunderbird's 429 cubic in. V8 engine that produced 360 bhp. 3-speed automatic transmission.

In 1970, Road & Track was able to reach 60mph in just 7.5 seconds and the ΒΌ mile in 15.5 seconds.

Although over 35 orders were reported, only 11 were ever built.

Elvis Presley bought two and legend has it that Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. were also early adopters.
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars