News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 Shelby rear panel screws

Started by shelbydoug, October 11, 2023, 08:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 17, 2023, 06:54:21 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 16, 2023, 10:38:11 PM
I thought " https://www.deadnutson.com/ " sold the gray panels but none show on his website anymore. You might call to be sure because it would certainly be the best alternative IMO. If he doesn't you will have to modify the black ones to make them look more authentic. . The repro material is not near the same as the original which was water resistant and had a smooth non porous surface unlike the rougher black paper that has a somewhat furry to the touch surface. You need to seal it with some coats of grey filler primer and do sanding between coats so that if is smooth when you lay down the final finish of grey so that your new pair match's the one panel that still exists in your trunk. After the final coat I use a semi gloss clear to complete the process to mimic the finish on the originals. I hope this helps.
I got a pair from DNO but they have a "reverse" bend I have not gotten out yet. I haven't tried. Thanks for the tip as I have 1 original panel from my car and I'll try and duplicate the finish on it.
Thanks for bringing up the bend. The boards should be pre bent and not bent to fit when installing in the car. There were typically no creases in the factory panels . The crease will most likely happen if you try and install without pre bending. I find something with a large rounded surface and carefully persuade the cardboard back and forth to bend without putting a crease in the board . Once the board has that bend memory it will be easier to install with out putting a crease in the card board. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Steve Meltzer

Bob, Would heating the piece with a heat gun help with the bend as well? thanx steve

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 17, 2023, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 17, 2023, 06:54:21 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 16, 2023, 10:38:11 PM
I thought " https://www.deadnutson.com/ " sold the gray panels but none show on his website anymore. You might call to be sure because it would certainly be the best alternative IMO. If he doesn't you will have to modify the black ones to make them look more authentic. . The repro material is not near the same as the original which was water resistant and had a smooth non porous surface unlike the rougher black paper that has a somewhat furry to the touch surface. You need to seal it with some coats of grey filler primer and do sanding between coats so that if is smooth when you lay down the final finish of grey so that your new pair match's the one panel that still exists in your trunk. After the final coat I use a semi gloss clear to complete the process to mimic the finish on the originals. I hope this helps.
I got a pair from DNO but they have a "reverse" bend I have not gotten out yet. I haven't tried. Thanks for the tip as I have 1 original panel from my car and I'll try and duplicate the finish on it.
Thanks for bringing up the bend. The boards should be pre bent and not bent to fit when installing in the car. There were typically no creases in the factory panels . The crease will most likely happen if you try and install without pre bending. I find something with a large rounded surface and carefully persuade the cardboard back and forth to bend without putting a crease in the board . Once the board has that bend memory it will be easier to install with out putting a crease in the card board.
Mine came from Jack with the bend backwards. I wish I would have bought the vert trunk divider as a spare when he had them. I'm told probably gone forever.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Coralsnake

Heating them probably wont work

They dont need to bend much, using a round concrete form, to slide the cardboard into and gently applying even pressure, leave overnight and they are formed

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 17, 2023, 12:13:25 PM

They dont need to bend much, using a round concrete form, to slide the cardboard into and gently applying even pressure, leave overnight and they are formed
Thank you. I got one of my originals for the shape. So DNO pieces are for 69 and 70 so what is different about 68s? Anything?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

The shape is different between the 1968 and 1969 models. 1969s generally have screw holes as well

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 17, 2023, 12:13:25 PM

+1 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve Meltzer

Two basic questions here:
1) etching or non-etching primer?
B) Is the rearmost surface, the one you don't see, black or blue-gray?

thanx steve

Coralsnake

Black on inside blue/gray on side you see

Primer gray is close, but its actually closer to a Volkswagen color from the 1960s. Sorry I dont have a code or color name.

Its going to soak into the cardboard, so you will need several coats

Steve Meltzer

So, primer gray when all done, or blue gray as your website suggests?  Sorry for the redundancy. s

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on October 18, 2023, 10:39:51 AM
So, primer gray when all done, or blue gray as your website suggests?  Sorry for the redundancy. s
I think the color of the ones Jack sells is pretty close if not spot on(have yet to do a side by side comparison). I have an original one put away from my car and I was thinking of getting the paint color matched at painter's supply next summer. I've done that with PS pumps and 69-70 Shelby grill/bucket color.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

I think thats answered?

"Primer gray is close, but its actually closer to a Volkswagen color from the 1960s."

shelbymann1970

I'm starting a new topic on the trunk dividers.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990