News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Leaking Holley Carb, now need KR starter

Started by Steve Meltzer, October 12, 2023, 08:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

Gonna need a new ?rebuilt starter...dunno nothing about if the one i have is original, etc. Thanx, steve meltzer, obvious newbie

rhjanes

Check this for component ID first.
https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-starter

You used to be able to purchase a kit for rebuilding starters.  Not sure you still can.  they are fairly easy to rebuild.

Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Steve Meltzer

Thanx for the info! In the weeds now! When you turn the key, it is silent, DEAD! Am I right in thinking it could be the solenoid, not the starter, or, isn't there a starter relay? thanx so much. s

"When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that you originally came to drain the swamp"

jk66gt350

Power goes through the starter solenoid then to the starter.  If the starter is done, you should still hear a click at the solenoid when you turn the key.  Bad solenoid?  Bad key switch? 

Steve Meltzer

lt's bedtime for this old fart, but hope to check the voltage at the relay and solenoid tomorrow. Should help to narrow this a bit, then, back to the errant Holley. s

Lincoln tech

Steve , Steve , Steve lets start here , Is the battery fully charged ? Simple self powered test light may help you a lot to diag this problem , starter solenoid can be jumped to test it at the same time it will tell you whether the starter is working , just be very careful when you attempt this vehicle must out of gear and ignition switch in the off position , is your car auto or 4spd ? There may be a lot other things that will cause a no crank condition start with the basics .

Coralsnake

And then you have got the tilt mechanism which could be hindering your ability to start.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Lincoln tech

Good video on test lights ( Just make sure to get one with the old fashioned light bulb which will load test your circuit  ) A must have in everyone's tool box .            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmCGgDtCAYA&t=367s                                                                     

Lincoln tech

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 13, 2023, 09:24:28 AM
And then you have got the tilt mechanism which could be hindering your ability to start.
Yes , I just didn't want to go there yet  ;)

Coralsnake

Make sure the door is closed and the steering wheel is straight in-the driving position before starting the car
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Lincoln tech

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 13, 2023, 09:58:08 AM
Make sure the door is closed and the steering wheel is straight in-the driving position before starting the car
100%

Lincoln tech

I have seen guys pull the dash out of the car to try to find an electrical problem , but the only thing that was wrong was a blown fuse , start with the basics .

Steve Meltzer

ARRRGGHHHGH! Rookie mistake (again)...the door was open and the steering wheel cattawampus. Fired right up when those errors were corrected. Now, back to swamp (fuel /Holley leak). thanx again, guys. s

Lincoln tech

Np , at least you own up to your mistakes some guys just lie after they screw up (I could never understand why ?) So you saved a couple of bucks , If we ever meet your'e buying lunch  :) 

Steve Meltzer

@Lincoln  Tech you're on as long aa you don't eat kale or Brussels sprouts. s