News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Numbers on seat

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, November 29, 2023, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Here's a few pictures of a 1966 GT350 with original seats that the owner has owned since 1969. They are faded but appear to be the car number written on the bottom of the seat back. It was used to make sure the seats were returned to the correct car when the interior was removed to install the side scoops and side windows according to information supplied to the owner

Has anyone else have more information on this unique piece of seat information?

Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

pchmotoho

I wonder why would that be a concern since every 66 (1 or 2 maybe non black) had black seats?  Are the numbers the SFM numbers?  Can't make it out on my phone. 

Bob Gaines

That is most likely something done on the Ford assemblyline not Shelby, I have seen that on regular Mustangs too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Yes that is the cars second rotation number assigned to the body/car at San Jose. You may also find it applied on other parts that make up the car. Unlike other plants San Jose didn't attach copies of the buildsheet to sub assemblies and groups of parts assembled off the line. This way when they reached the car line the workers there could quickly identify the car they were intended for. Some might think it would be easy to tell if the next car on the line was a blue, black or red interior but from 20 feet plus away this was easier, quicker and better than a guess. They also had the standard and deluxe interior cars being built at the same time also to contend with.

The uni-body was marked twice, front and rear, with the same number so that workers could identify it from a distance. See this many times in the past on 65-70 Mustangs built there.

If you pay attention and do some digging you can some times find parts that were marked at SA for their processes also.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

1134 had numbers on the seats when I bought it in 1992.  I thought it was strange at the time, but it is nice to know it was factory.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

davez

I'm having a hard time orienting the seat.  Is this the rear fold down seat part. Writing is on the flap that hangs down? Or is this one of the front seats?

J_Speegle

Quote from: davez on November 29, 2023, 09:26:53 PM
I'm having a hard time orienting the seat.  Is this the rear fold down seat part. Writing is on the flap that hangs down? Or is this one of the front seats?

Typically applied to the passenger bucket seat rear/back section that folds/tilts forward.  Another one (for applications covered here on this site built at San Jose)  to look for is the rear seat assembly on the passenger edge were it comes in contact with the interior quarter trim panel.  65 and 67 owners of unrestored cars can look in the same places

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge