News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Cobra emblem

Started by alex74pd184, April 09, 2024, 08:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex74pd184

Anyone know the application for this Cobra badge?

The other emblem in the background is cast "FoMoCo" with a triangle above the Ford logo and the  C3RA #

Dan Case

Quote from: alex74pd184 on April 09, 2024, 08:25:37 PMAnyone know the application for this Cobra badge?

"S1CS-19523-B Emblem, AC_Cobra 2 9/16" - as contracted by Mr. Shelby locally legend says and used on most west coast completed cars between about CSX2032 and CSX2132. To be sure, one needs new car pictures of any given early car.

There were three almost identical versions of this design and the one shown is the second of the three to be introduced and used on new Cobras. The second and third versions were sold as service parts at least into 1968 and perhaps longer.  The second version is the one I see most commonly in new old stock form.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

A-Snake

The emblem you mentioned in the background is a C3RA-14225-A used on 427 Cobras

alex74pd184

Yes, thanks for the response. I sold a pair of mint "C3RA" emblems in Ebay a while ago to Legendary Motors in Canada. I think those emblems were purchased for a 427 car?

The larger Cobra medallion, is the one I wasn't sure of its application? I was under the impression, 1963 maybe?

Dan Case

Quote from: alex74pd184 on April 10, 2024, 06:37:48 PMYes, thanks for the response. I sold a pair of mint "C3RA" emblems in Ebay a while ago to Legendary Motors in Canada. I think those emblems were purchased for a 427 car?

The larger Cobra medallion, is the one I wasn't sure of its application? I was under the impression, 1963 maybe?

Not really a "year" situation as between CSX2001 and CSX2132 several different mascot emblems were used with new Cobras. The S1CS-C emblem was standard for Cobras CSX2133-CSX2589 covering cars completed 1963-65.

My type set of original pieces. I am missing only a S1CS-B Version 1.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

A-Snake

The emblem on the left is the C3RA-14225-A used on 427 Cobras. The emblem onthe right is the S1CS-19523-C used on 289 Cobras from CSX2133 to CSX2589.

alex74pd184

With all these variations in a very limited production run, did Shelby build any 2 or more Cobras, exactly the same?

Dan Case

Quote from: alex74pd184 on April 11, 2024, 12:10:45 AMWith all these variations in a very limited production run, did Shelby build any 2 or more Cobras, exactly the same?

Within series, yes but with inputs for Shelby's works, Ed Hugus, street car customers, race car customers, racing advancements, Ford Motor Company, A.C. Cars, and changes suppliers made on their own, numerous revisions were made in specifications for completed cars between CSX2001 and CSX2188.  Hundreds of changes took place to start with CSX2201 that had been in development as far back as CSX2008.  From the very start, Cobra owners had to report their chassis number to parts and service departments to improve their chances of getting the right information the first time.

It is not really any different this century for Fords. We had a 2003 Ford Focus SVT. The center high brake lamp lens design changed three times in six months. The first two designs soon broke while installed.  The third design lasted beyond when we sold the car years later.  We have 2017, 2021, and 2023 Fords. Before doing any electro-mechanical service work the dealer's service department uses the VINs to access the specifications each vehicle was produced under. 
Dan Case

alex74pd184

I did find a vintage picture online of a Cobra with this emblem. Looks like a very limited # of cars had these emblems. Most pictures I reviewed online, show cars with the smaller Cobra chrome emblem having the white background for the snake logo and in some vintage pics, some cars didn't have an emblem on the nose?

I'm thinking; the NOS Cobra emblems, I collected were originally accessories from Cobra parts kits?